GO!

wobbler syndrome

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Gus

Please throw the- ball

Barked: Thu Aug 6, '09 6:21pm PST 
As you can tell I am not a dobie. I was just diagnosed with wobblers syndrom. Since this is seen more commonly in dobies. I was wondering if any of you have had experience with this and have any advise. My neurologist wasn't hopefull about surgery and i am being treated with meds and acupuncture. I would appreciate any words of wisdom
[notify]
Takoda CGC

Barked: Fri Aug 7, '09 4:34am PST 
I have a very good friend who has wobblers and the accupuncture has helped him the most. If you are using a collar, switch to a harness to take pressure off the neck. Surgery was suggested by one Vet but when examined at the VA Tech Vet School, they said it wasn't necessary right now. It might be needed in the future and he was told not to expect total recovery, even with surgery.

Has this affected just the hind legs or front also? Most have problems in the hind legs and as long as they are still getting around, even though the walk is shaky, acupuncure seems to be the best alternative.

Good luck and hope things turn out right for you.
[notify]
Sheba In- loving- memory

mommies little- girl

Barked: Sat Aug 29, '09 7:36pm PST 
good luck to you i am sorry to here you have wobblers. I have had experiance with it but unfortently it was too bad for sheba the surgery couldn't fix her she couldn't walk at all and the best thing for her was to be put downcry she had slipped 3 dicks in her neck and it was inpossible to fix we even tried to get a univeristy to fix it but no one would do it. i just wished i had of know about wobblers before i would have done so many things different like useing a harness but i had never heard of it until the vet told me she had it
[notify]

Boca

Barked: Thu Nov 5, '09 5:51pm PST 
I have a mastiff who hasn't even turned 2 yet. She was diagnosed with Wobblers Syndrome today. The surgeon said there is nothing they can do for her. I'm extremely disappointed because she is the sweetest dog I've ever had and she's so young. They put her on steroids for now hoping it will relieve some of the pressure. I'm just hoping for the best at this point. As of right now, she can still walk.
[notify]