GO!

why is there so much concern over us cropping this breed?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
VonSeizer

"ALL HAIL THE- GREAT- VONSEIZER"!!!!

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '07 9:43am PST 
In the dog laws and legislation they have been bashing ear crops. Why???????????
[notify]
Lord Byron- the Rul

Bunnies....?

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '07 10:07am PST 
Because people think they are doing or saying the right thing- honestly most of them do not know any better.

If my boy wouldn't have been cropped he would have had to have the ablation surgery and it drives me nutts people say its only cosmetic or they use examples of people who butcher their own dogs as reasons it shouldn't be done.

It all drives me nuts!
[notify]
Fungi, BH

Zoom-Zoom-Zoom- Zoomiiieeesss!!!

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '07 6:42am PST 
I know what you mean...I didn't even bother to respond to that thread (have been following it though).
silenced
[notify]

VonSeizer

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '07 10:32am PST 
Well I am sick of the forum nazi's pushing their ideals on everyone else. Some are out right rude about it, and if you call them on it, you are "insulting" them.laugh out loud
[notify]
Terra

Hero

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '07 11:20am PST 
People are against cropping for many reasons. One, because it causes pain that does not benefit the dog. Two, because it is often performed by people who are not licensed veterinarians. Three, because the anesthesia can kill puppies. Four, because it can result in infections. Five, because it often results in ear taping for months on end.
There is a lot of ignorance that leads people to falsely believe that leaving ears natural can cause ear infections. This is completely erroneous as any competent veterinarian knows. There is no connection at all between ear ablation or infection and cropping besides ignorance.
[notify]
Roscoe

Roscoe's Blu- Moon Shine RN CD

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '07 3:19pm PST 
i agree with terran. the fact that ears were only croped so they looked meaner is... well... kinda stupid. they dont crop rotweiller's ears, yet ppl are scared of them.
[notify]
Lord Byron- the Rul

Bunnies....?

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '07 10:55am PST 
Apparently I'm ignorantthinking

Blanket statements like yours are not true. There are many breeds were pulling the ear back to allow air in will stop all infections-but I must be wrong because I'm ignorant. I've been involved with dogs,dog rescue etc for fifteen plus years and I'm ignorant.

And I hate people use bad croppers or illegal ones as an example-how stupid do you think people are? If a person goes to some backwoods cropper they don't care anyway-they would probably do it themselves. And if anesthesia is the concern do we no longer fix our dogs or put them under for anything else. Surgery is a risk-but it is anytime medicine is involved. Dogs die from antibiotics and heartworm medication.

I don't think every person should crop their dog-most people are not up for the research to find a good cropper and how to choose one. Personally I think it should be done by the breeder and thats it. We were not going to crop Byron until our old vet wanted to do the ear ablation surgery. After our second opinion told us crop him youll have no problem we did and he has been fine. I would have put him through major surgery and screwed up his hearing for nothing. So as long as I have a voice I will talk about my experience and I think it should be an option.

My boy was not miserable in his brace. He didn't freak out and try to claw it off and he didn't hang his head like he was in pain(and believe me at that point before his surgery thats all he did do).

So after my experience with my boy I will get a cropped pup from now on. Of course if I got an older rescue I wont be upset he has floppy ears- I love those to. But honestly I can say I prefer the look of the erect ear- does it make me a monster? As much good as I have done for animals I guess my thoughts on something so trivial(and literally it is,I have heard of one dog die going under for a cut-and seeing as many die from spays with bleeding disorders thats not bad) groups me in as a bad person. I have no problem sleeping at night(and neither did my boy after his crop)big grin
[notify]
VonSeizer

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '07 9:24am PST 
Your absolutely right Lord Byron. There are all kinds of competent research studies on this topic by which one can see that cropping a Doberman is almost neccessary for the health of the dog. There are pockets just behind the eyes in the Dobermans ears that trap moisture, thus causing the infections.way to go

Edited by author Thu Dec 13, '07 9:25am PST

[notify]
Stinky

*insert fart- noise*

Barked: Tue Nov 18, '08 7:58pm PST 
Hi, I don't know much about ear cropping, but I had a doberman that had natural ears and she never had one problem with ear infections. Also, if the reason to crop your dobermans ears is medical, why don't they crop breeds like the rottweilers or labs?
[notify]
Merlin

If I like it- it's mine

Barked: Wed Nov 19, '08 9:04am PST 
Ear cropping was alledigly performed on Dobermanns because of there tendancy to fight, back in the old days when they were an extremly nasty dog they often occured ear damage so ears were removed to combat this, it was then made part of the German breed standard and carried on from there.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3