GO!

Cocker as a Therapy Dog?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Wookiee

Operation- Stuffed Animal

Barked: Wed Oct 22, '08 8:48am PST 
I am interested in training Wookiee to be a therapy dog. Has anyone had much experience with this breed? Wookiee is very mellow and is a quick learner. But I have heard conflicting views on this breed being successful as service/ therapy dogs. Any thoughts?

Jen
[notify]
Spencer

Living in the- Moment SS~

Barked: Thu Dec 11, '08 6:40am PST 
Hi! I am my mom's service dog and I have been trained to be a therapy dog as well. She feels we are a great breed for any type of work as long as we have had training. I am laid back and easy going. My sister on ther other hand is hyper and has had significant less training than I have had. Tara just came to live with us. She is extremely loveable but not as approachable as I am. I am cool with wheel chairs, canes, casts . . . Tara sometimes barks at some people, but I love everyone!!! We both love children!!!

It all depends on your temperment and training. You must be well groomed for each visit. When we were in training for therapy dog, everytime we made a visit we had to have a bath prior. Mom says she would start with the Canine Good Citizens exam. If you pass that then take a class that will prepare you for therapy visits. Mom is training Tara prior to taking the CGC class. She likes for all her dogs to have their CGC.

Feel free to contact my mom with any questions. She says Cockers are the Best we can do just about anyithing within limits of our small stature!!! smile blue dog
[notify]
Wookiee

Operation- Stuffed Animal

Barked: Tue Feb 10, '09 8:15am PST 
Thank you Spencer for your insight!
[notify]