GO!

Concrete Flooring

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

Olivia

out of the brave- comes the- shiverer!

Barked: Sat Aug 3, '13 3:09am PST 
I'm going to have heated concrete flooring installed throughout the new house I'm moving into. I was wondering, however, if it might naturally reduce my chihuahua's nails. Since they don't live in the backyard where pavement is usually encountered, they have horribly long nails that I have to take them to the groomers every 3 weeks! I chose the flooring for other reasons, but I'm hoping it might make a difference in their nail growth.
[notify]
Fox

Barked: Mon Aug 5, '13 10:24am PST 
I doubt it will make a difference. Concrete flooring is very smooth compared sidewalks and streets, which are typically credited with reducing nails. Even then, I don't find they work very well as I walk my dogs through the neighborhood streets daily and I still trim their nails every 2 weeks or so.

3 weeks is a long time between cutting nails. I'd say 2 weeks is average, with individuals needing more or less frequent trims. If you want to reduce the length of the nails, you need to be trimming or dremmeling every 3 - 5 days, as close to the quick as you can get without nicking it.
[notify]