GO!

Landlord friendly temporary dog fencing?

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Beauty

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 8:28pm PST 
I have sighthounds and they love a fenced yard to play in. I'm looking for temp(1 year lease at least) fencing solutions that I can run by the landlord. What are your personal suggestions?
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 11:45pm PST 
I use that plastic "snow fencing" It's bright orange, so not pretty, but my landlord had no problem with me banging rebar into the ground for fence posts & stringing the fencing. It was pretty cheap too!
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 5:59am PST 
I'm with Squam... I used that plastic stuff as well. Mine has been in place for over 10 years and is still going strong with only minor repairs.
The good news... it also comes in black or green. I have the green and it doesn't even show up when strung thru bushes and trees. 10 years ago I only paid $11 for 100 feet rolls. Not bad at all!
[notify]

Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 1:32pm PST 
I was just curious, couldn't a dog break through that type of fencing?thinking It might be an option for the back part of my yard as well.

For the OP , the rest of our fence is lattice panels which hubby screws into poles in the spring and then unscrews and takes down in the fall for the winter. Its more expensive than what Squ;mey and Toto suggested but it's also easy take down . The only trouble is the poles stay up all year roundsthinking
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 2:19pm PST 
Bunny. I wondered that too..especially with Squam being almost 100 pounds & prey obsessed. I worked on boundary training also & it has contained da Boyz easily...even when dogs are walked by. I did string it quite tight, thinking the less it gives, the less they would challenge it.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 2:51pm PST 
Good to know, Squ'meysmile I have been putting off that last bit of fence but that is definitely something to consider. It's the darn poles that are so much workrelieved
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 3:28pm PST 
I've had a few breaks, but only by trees falling on it! Mine is a mainly for "show" fence, I NEVER leave them down there without me right there so they are usually playing with me or each other and not testing the fence at all. If they can see it, it works! The top portion is an old expen just balanced across from a shed to the beginning of the snow fence... I don't even hook it to anything. Of course, my dogs are all raised behind fences so they don't test them for the most part.
Only Riley, my red toy poodle, and he gets out of anything except 8 feet chainlink so he's never been down there. He just climbs ANY fence. Surprisingly, it's hereditary... his father is the same way, and he has NEVER even met his father!!!
The fence in their big play yard is stockade, about 40 years old, and totally rotted. I had two strands of regular electric for the labs, one low near the ground and one at head level because they stayed in there all day without me. I did tack snow fence over the inside of the stockade in most places to block the actual holes that they could see out.
No electric now, the poodles just visit WITH me down there for some running and I pretty much trained Riley to stay in by crating him right down there with everyone, every single time he got out. Only took a few weeks and he is good now, but again, I NEVER leave them down there without a person with them. It is also my chicken yard and the chickies never get out of it. But, it is HUGE and lots of bushes and trees and BUGS so they don't want to leave.
[notify]
Natasha - 美花- ~Beautiful- Flower~

Let's play tag!- You're it!

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 4:45pm PST 
The only concerns I would have with the snow fencing is that in my research on Saluki's, I learned they can jump very high and could easily clear that type of fencing.

I don't know what your price range is, and this might be way too expensive, but maybe if you can find something similar in your area?

temporary fence
[notify]
Beauty

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 5:24pm PST 
Where I currently live, where I'm moving from, I have a 4ft tall chain link fence in the front yard. They've seen a cat and jumped up at the fence before but have never gone over it, neither has my Borzoi.

I think so long as it's 4 ft tall it should be ok.

I'm sure my landlord will be fine with a fence idea, Just want something easy to assemble and not tear up the lawn and be easy to remove if we move after a year or so.
[notify]
Nicky

World's Cutest- Leprechaun

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 10:09am PST 
I've seen people use chicken wire although visibility might be a concern especially if you have sighthounds with prey drive.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2