GO!

Puppy incoming! What should I arm myself with?

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Tokyo

Barked: Tue Jul 3, '12 7:58pm PST 
Hello! My first puppy is due on Monday!

I have carpets and only the kitchen is tiled.
What cleaning products do you recommend to keep ontop of the accidents that are surely going to come?

(Im keeping him in the kitchen when Im not home to minimize the accidents lol)
[notify]
Tokyo

Barked: Tue Jul 3, '12 8:05pm PST 
BTW I prefer natural products over chemicals! Thanks
[notify]
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Wed Jul 4, '12 2:55pm PST 
Natures Remedy or Simple Solutions for potty accidents on any surface. You can find them at your local Petco / Petsmart.

Will you be crate training your pup? If so, Potty pup before crating and immediately after. Potty after meals, naps, play sessions to help reduce accidents...and a good way to start house-training. Remember, a puppies bladder isn't fully formed until about 3 months of age...so bladder control will become easier for your new baby at that age.

Grooming tools?

Congratulations! Have fun...and post pics way to go
[notify]

Bridgit

don't hate me- because I'm- beautiful

Barked: Wed Jul 4, '12 8:48pm PST 
Wee pads are a must. There will be accidents no matter what! A good product for carpets is called Urine-Off. It really works.
[notify]
River

Always hug your- puppy...

Barked: Thu Jul 5, '12 5:01pm PST 
SLEEP!!!

big laughbig laughbig laughbig laughbig laugh

Lotsa chewies....play stuff...maybe a treat ball...! I went through the pet store and nearly bought everything they had

big laugh in retrospect...maybe a few items at a time! but dang! I was SO excited!

SLEEP!!

Really seemed to be a lost commodity with a furbaby!

And...apparently you can't buy it in the pet store! Who knew?? shrug

Gosh! You are a cutie patootie! big grin
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '12 9:07am PST 
Wine - it's a natural sleep aid! laugh out loudlaugh out loud Congratulations!! cheercheer
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '12 11:09am PST 
Carpet cleaner. I don't know of any natural varieties (some vinegar solution, maybe?) but we always had bottle of Resolve in the house for "accidents".

Also, the puppy will find things on the floor that you didn't even know were there. shock I've retrieved several paperclip, pen, and coin "toys" (luckily in time) shock

We never did the crate thing, but we did make use of baby gates to keep the dog sectioned off in parts of the house.
[notify]
♥- DarlaMae - ♥

I Am- Iron Nose- !

Barked: Sun Jul 8, '12 5:43pm PST 
flowers Congrats & all the best to you!cloud 9

Natures Miracle for stains and accidents is fantastic,baby gates, chewys, comfy shirts that smell of you & your family, Possibly a wind up ticking alarm clock. (Old school trick I remember from many years ago. Keep it wrapped in a towel to soothe puppy away from littermates and Mom. Do keep away from chewing teeth of course. Patience lots of patience by the bucket load!puppy

Most of all ENJOY And have fun with your bundle of furry happiness!cloud 9

Keep us posted on your adorable new family member please!!dog

As said Sleep now, It is very important too.laugh out loud

Edited by author Sun Jul 8, '12 5:46pm PST

[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Sun Jul 8, '12 6:55pm PST 
Unique pet stain and odor eliminator. It's not a detergent, it's a non-pathenogenic bacteria that eats whatever is causing the stain and odor. I get it at my vet and at the vaccuum repair shop where I am.

Ionic air purifier, also . YOu'll want a pet first aid kit, quick clot, poo bags, pee mats, and I would buy a kennel, if you haven't already, there might be emergency situations where you will need one even if you don't use it at any other time. Oust is fairly safe.You will need soft toys ,preferably stuffing free, for supervised play and tough ones for chewing on, and a ball for interactive play. Also a water bottle. A spritz is an amazing deterrant. I wouldn't suggest leaving water out all the time until you have them fully potty trained. dogs need about 1 oz. water per pound per day, so you should ration it to help facilitate knowing when your dog is more likely to need to go. Bitter apple spray or jalapeno spray for spraying things you want left unmolested, and urine scent spray so you can spritz the pad, or spritz the grass where you want the dog to target as a place to relieve. A dog bed is essential if you don't want the dog on the furniture or the bed and if you don't want to use a kennel. Baby gates, of course, if there are off limit areas. Don't expect them to work long. Most dogs, even Chihuahuas find a way over around or through them.

I also suggest going around your house crawling on your belly. You will be amazed at what you will find from a dogs perspective. Take up your houseplants, and find good places to hide the remote controls or they will become chew toys. The plastic bins you get when you go to the hospital, or a foot bath bucket are perfect size for rinsing muddy paws off. Buy pet shampoo, toddler toothbrushes (human toddler toothbrushes are small enough to get to the back of the mouth), and enzymatic toothpaste like Nutravet. If your dog is light colored and short coated, there is pet sunscreen.

Buy a rubbermaid container for the dog's toys. You can actually train the dog to put the toys back on command if you want to. For the first week or so, keep the dog on leash in the house so you know what he is up to while you are home.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 6:29pm PST 
You should arm yourself mostly for your new pup's housetraining, as well as his potty training. As mentioned by someone in an earlier post, you can prepare wee pads, maybe a crate or newspapers too. I think what's important here is you get ready for the little accidents your pup would be having because of his poor bowel control.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2