GO!

Whats a good type of blanket for dogs who rip things up?

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Tue May 15, '12 9:31am PST 
You could get Kuranda beds. We have the same problem..
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed May 16, '12 7:04pm PST 
I don't mean to sound mean but Buddy is 9 and gets nothing in his crate because he destroys things. After Shadow hacked up a big ball of string she lost her bed too. I don't think making myself feel better is worth one of my dogs choking while I'm gone. And let's face it the beds are more for us then them.
[notify]
Seela

Beauty and the- Beast

Barked: Sun May 20, '12 7:35pm PST 
I agree with Sabi - pet beds probably make us feel better than their comfort. I do have four pet beds - two upstairs and two downstairs. If any of my dogs had chewed blanket/rug in the crate - they sleep on the plastic. I cannot have anything outside in the kennel run except hay/alfalfa in the doghouse as it would be ripped up. They have little wooden decks to lay on outside.
I would not take the chance of having anything in the crate that they could eat. You can end up with a high vet bill or a dead puppy.
[notify]

Prayers please

Barked: Tue May 22, '12 1:14pm PST 
Karma sheds up stuff too. A piece of rubber mat used for horses is usually the best option. Not as cozy as a soft bed, but more comfortable than the bottom of a crate.
[notify]
Ripley

Barked: Wed May 23, '12 5:07pm PST 
I also agree with Sabi.
Ripley doesn't really seem to care much what she is laying on to sleep. Although she does seem to prefer to have something under her while she eats. laugh out loud
[notify]
ROSCOE

The World Is My- Playground

Barked: Wed May 23, '12 8:53pm PST 
I even chewed the rubber stall mat..Momma got me a new one and took it to our local boat making place and they made a cover out of sail cloth and I haven't chewed it because I scratch things first to make a dent/rip/hole and then chew and the sail cloth is tough so far so good!
[notify]
Angel

Little Angel

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 9:31pm PST 
I second the Kuranda bed idea. At my school we use those and I've rarely ever seen them destroyed or chewed up.

Probably another idea, which the pups might like more, is a few durable toys for them to play with. A lot of times destructive behavior is due to boredom (they turned their blanket into a toy), so they might be just as happy with a big kong or something like that. (Though I'd make sure the toy is large enough they can't swallow it. I'm EXTREMELY picky about what toys I leave with Angel and Rocket since Angel rips up toys, but luckily he is a pillow hog so he's happy as long as he can sleep on my bed.)
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Wed Jul 25, '12 12:32am PST 
well have you ever thought about going to the fabric store and buying polar fleece? The stuff is pretty indestructable. There is a reason why people braid strips of it into dog chews. The way polar fleece is put together resists ripping even when punctured. That's why people can make a durable dog bed of it by cutting the edges of 2 idential squares into strips, tie the strips together, and stuff it with plastic bags, newspapers, old t'shirts and towels, just whatever is soft. Polar fleece is pretty cheap too, sold by the yard and comes in pretty much any pattern you like. If/when the dgs rip it up, if you buy a bolt of the stuff, just cut off a new section. Requres no sewing so there are not going to be threads. It's made out of PET, the same stuff as shopping bags, so you can get polar fleece made of 100% recycled fiber even. Hydrophobic, machine washable, breathable, the only drawback is static cling and not fire retardant.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2