GO!

Please help with doggie odor!

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

Sophie

Sleep, sleep and- more sleep!

Barked: Wed Feb 29, '12 9:28am PST 
My hubby is not a dog person but he has made some leaps and bounds lately by letting me have all three of our dogs in the house. He has a very sensitive nose and is constantly complaining that the house stinks even though I don't smell a thing. I bath my pups once a week I use some Dawn first then a dog shampoo. Is there anything else I can do to help the house stop smelling.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Wed Feb 29, '12 1:48pm PST 
Air fresheners?

Fabreeze the carpets?
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Thu Mar 1, '12 2:22am PST 
I use Nature's Miracle 3 in 1 ODOR DESTROYER!!! for the air, carpets, pet beds.

I also have a few spritz sprays (Like dog perfumes. I buy them at petsmart) that jake gets a day on his coat and deodorizing wipes that smell like lemons.

I have a super sensitive nose and those few things in conjunction keep my nose happy. Jake has major hound smell so often if he's laid on it the smell lingers. So these things help.

I have been known to use Glade Fabric & Air Pet Odor Eliminator as well. but i love Nature's Miracle.
[notify]

MT TOP's- Secret- Agent,- C.G.C.

R.I.P. Kahaus

Barked: Thu Mar 1, '12 2:27am PST 
Definitely keep the dogs clean. Baking soda works wonders between baths. Sprinkle it on the coat and brush it out; deodorizes really well.

Also make sure that they are eating a quality dog food. Some of that stank can come from gas and odor associated with a poor quality diet.

Beyond that, some smells just take some getting used to. I am pretty much immune to dog smell when the animals and their environment are clean because I grew up around them, but I think that cats stink. I have cat-loving friends who are the opposite, and can live with the kitty/kitty litter smell but think that dogs reek. thinking
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Thu Mar 1, '12 6:33pm PST 
I am an oxyclean buff. I wash all of the blankets and dog bedding once a week and add oxyclean to the detergent. I also clean the rugs with a rug doctor - adding oxyclean to the cleaning fluid. My dogs get baths every 1-2 weeks. Depending on how much mud they play in!
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Fri Mar 2, '12 4:01pm PST 
turner- if you happen to return. Does Oxyclean work well on colors? I hear from the informercial it does but i'm afraid to use it. WE have pink carpet at home and i'm scared i'm going to change it to an odd color confused
[notify]
Bella

More Food! More,- more, more- please!

Barked: Fri Mar 2, '12 7:40pm PST 
I have used Oxyclean on everything...almost literally. I have never been one to do "spot tests" and I'm sure one day I will pay for it.naughty If you're concerned about color blanching or changing - do a small spot test somewhere inconspicuous. It really shouldnt hurt the carpet.
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Thu Apr 5, '12 6:08pm PST 
I don't know about colors - our carpets are tan. I try to keep the carpets the color of dirt! laugh out loud
[notify]