GO!

Roomba or other robotic vacuum cleaners

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Dunlop

Dunlop-named for- the rider not- the tyer

Barked: Sun Feb 12, '12 6:54pm PST 
Any one have a Roomba or robotic vacuum cleaner? How does it handle things like rug fringes?

the BF has a card night on tonight so I gave the house a good dust and vacuum but the vacuum is a PITA to use. Get one room done, do the filter and canister. Do a second room, same deal. I hate wool carpet naughty who ever decided that four bedroom houses where a good idea, didn't have to clean them.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Wed Feb 15, '12 4:30pm PST 
I don't know about the latest models, but I read that the first ones weren't very efficient- they would miss spots and take a lot longer than just doing it yourself. It also can get confused with loose items like shoes on the floor. Reading reviews confirms this is still a problem- most people who have one still have to vacuum with a regular upright in the tricky spots.

Maybe get a bagged vac instead of a bagless? I only have to mess with changing the bag on mine about once a month (of vacuuming twice weekly) and haven't had to change the filter yet at all. It's really easy- just take out the bag, throw it in the trash, insert a new one. No loose dust. We have two big hairy dogs, no mudroom (so it's filthy around the doorways) and heat with a wood stove (so there is wood debris and ashes around the hearth) and I know I'd rather vacuum than sweep it up with a broom...
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Feb 17, '12 8:27am PST 
I have seen the area for dirt on those things. I couldn't do even one room here. I hate emptying the dirt cup constantly too,but when I had the one with a bag,any water the pups got on the carpet would get sucked up along with the hair and stuff and within a few days the bag would blow a mildew smell out the exhaust and none of them seem to pick up as well. Many years ago I worked for a company that made one that was a wet dry vacuum with a water basin instead of a dirt cup and it caught everything in the air. Great for people with allergies. All you had to do was empty the basin,rinse it out and flush everything down. I got one for my parents at dealer price almost 30 years ago and my brother took it as a shop vac when my mother went into a home.
I wish I could find one now.
[notify]

Dunlop

Dunlop-named for- the rider not- the tyer

Barked: Fri Feb 24, '12 1:11am PST 
Drat, Was thinking of buying one for xmas if they where any good, we got a new vacuum cleaner a few weeks ago that's easier to use but the carpet is a PITA due to the dust. Thank you!
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jun 15, '12 12:40pm PST 
I got few earlier, one was iTouchless, another Generic,etc, but after buying roomba, I was saved...
So, I think that my suggestion for perfect vacuum cleaner is very clear smile
[notify]
Ava, NTD

Miss Ava Roo

Barked: Sat Jun 16, '12 7:02am PST 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRzHaD5bg2s

Convinced me big laugh
[notify]
Ra

Veteran Watchdog

Barked: Sat Jun 16, '12 2:59pm PST 
Meh, I've used a Roomba for a few years-- it seems really efficient to clean for busy people at first, but then the cleaning of the roomba itself is nasty. The case for holding all the gunk is pretty small, so it needs to be cleaned often, which is totally a bother...confused You need to open up the thing and manually pick out the fur caught in the wheel, which takes about 10 minutes in itself.
But since 10 minutes is probably still shorter than sweeping a living room, it's an okay machine.... But not fabulous LOL. I've personally stopped using it.
[notify]
Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '12 1:45pm PST 
A friend of mine has one and she has multiple dogs and a cat - she loved it when it was just her and the cat...but when she added dogs into the mix it couldn't keep up. She had to still use the upright as there was still fur on the floor and it was baffled by a wool rug (couldn't manage to get onto it).

I find bagged vacuums to be a pain - they honestly don't hold much more and get stinky if you don't throw the bag away after every vacuuming (which is expensive after awhile). I would prefer to empty a dust cup a few times than deal with bags.
[notify]
Joe

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '12 12:27am PST 
applauseapplauseapplause
[notify]
Joe

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '12 12:28am PST 
applauseapplauseapplause
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2