GO!

shedding shihtzu

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

smoky

sweetie

Barked: Sun Feb 5, '12 5:35pm PST 
I was under impression that shihtzu did not shed hair.My last one did not. Smoky my pups now sheds like something awful.I think he is an impostor or bootleg baby.Never the less I love him but all this hair it's every where.Maybe someone can recommend something vitamin or shampoo .Right now all I know to do is vacuum.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Feb 17, '12 8:49am PST 
Vacuuming is really your best option. I too,was under the impression that shihtzu's didn't shed. Supplements like fish oil and vitamin E make for nice healthy shiny coats but I have Akita's and can tell you they do not work to lessen shedding. Brushing daily will also keep as much hair from being left around the house. The last anti-shed shampoo I tried actually made things worse for me,but I was told it takes multiple uses over time to work and Akita's can't be bathed that often.
Good Luck!!!smilewishes
[notify]
Grace

it's a big, big- world out there!

Barked: Fri Feb 17, '12 2:39pm PST 
Have you taken Smokey to the vet to make sure he is okay? Maybe he is having a health issue?

Shih Tzus don't shed. Well, they shed but minimal. Not enough to notice, really. Usually what they would shed comes up while combing.

did you get him from a breeder?

I'd get him vet checked. And if the vet says all is okay - he is probably not a purebred, and will need to be brushed more. Usually shedding breeds will drop a coat (lots of shedding) 2-4 times a year.
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Feb 17, '12 3:08pm PST 
As a groomer who does tons of shih tzus, the only shedding ones we see normally have pretty bad skin issues, usually allergies or flea bite issues.
Breeding can play a vitally important part in any purebred's coat. Did you meet his parents and other family members and what type of coats did they have? If they had poor coats most likely he will as well.
We do have one who has extremely poor coat and his breaks off usually on his back and the front of his legs. The breaking is severe enough to leave clumps of hair throughout their home.
He was a pet store puppy so nothing is known about his background and for all the owners know, he may have another breed as a father since his papers are suspect as well.
Finally, if he does have skin issues or allergies or the like a good vet visit and a program to help his skin may create a better stronger coat. Internal parasites can also be a major cause of excessive shedding.
[notify]