GO!

Shedding.... how do you deal with it?

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Howard

Tail Waggin'- Mutt

Barked: Mon Dec 5, '11 7:29pm PST 
My dogs shed A LOT to the point where there's hair EVERYWHERE, the walls, table, food, fridge, clothes, couches, dog hair is on everything in the whole house. We wipe down the walls, vacuum, clean the fridge, etc., everyday but the hair just won't go away. Washed and dry clothes that came out from the dryer will have dog hair on it. I just can't stand dog hair everywhere. My dogs eat a high quality brand of food (Orijen) and shed less on Orijen than they did on the raw diet. They take sardines, fish oil and olive oil everyday for shedding (as well as for staying healthy). They get brushed everyday. I shave them down a couple times a year but they still shed (not as much, but still a lot). Got any ideas?

Edited by author Mon Dec 5, '11 7:30pm PST

[notify]
Buddy

Barked: Mon Dec 5, '11 7:58pm PST 
We just do lots of vacuuming, but it seems like there's always hair somewhere. We also use a Furminator which helps a little bit. You can get a cheap older model Furminator on Amazon..don't pay the 60 bucks at PetCo!
[notify]
Libby

Shake it baby!

Barked: Tue Dec 6, '11 3:57am PST 
I swear by the furminator!
Timmy is my worst shedder with that soft floaty type fur. Libby's is coarse, Pibbs is no big deal and Angel has hair.
Don't forget that it's change of coat season so there is hope it will lighten up a bit.
I also try to bathe with a gentle shampoo about once every two weeks during heavy shedding time. When the coat is slightly damp I use a rubber glove to help pull the loose hairs out, too.
Sometimes Timmy will let me use one of the tape rollers on him. It actually pulls out quite a bit without it floating everywhere!
[notify]

Sakari

Divas can get- dirty too !

Barked: Tue Dec 6, '11 6:22am PST 
The Furminator is a life savor laugh out loud

I have 4 high shedding breeds (Husky, Chow, APBT, Aussie x) we brush every day and use the furminator twice a week during shedding times. Vaccum the house twice a day and wash walls twice a week. It's somewhat manageable. My biggest problem is dog allergies and sleeping with a Husky laugh out loud
[notify]
Sally Beaker-

Professional- Bone Horder

Barked: Tue Dec 6, '11 7:56am PST 
Furminator and vacuuming.
Another thing I do for my GSDs is use a high powered blow dryer on them after they get a bath. Groomers usually have them. But those things will blow out A LOT of the undercoat (which is the problem with my dogs). It works great. I work at dog daycare/grooming facility so I get access to that stuff free. But some places will let you bring in your dog and use their grooming area and what not to bath your dog, maybe ask around about that.
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Tue Dec 6, '11 11:13am PST 
I do what Sally Beaker does. In fact today is blow dryer day.

As for at home my Dyson is a god-send. I just bought myself the pet hair attachment and it's glorious though I can still do the job without it. The next big purchase will be the groom tool.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Tue Dec 6, '11 10:27pm PST 
LOL, I deal with it by overlooking it. My dog is black and all my clothes, bedding, and carpet are dark-colored. I just don't look too hard at it. laugh out loud
[notify]
Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Wed Dec 7, '11 4:20am PST 
I deal with by complaininglaugh out loud I know you are thinking , " Come on, how much can a Chi shed?" The answer to that is " A lot more than you would think."wink
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Wed Dec 7, '11 5:24am PST 
I deal with it by....pretending ti doesn't exist! Actually, the hair everywhere doesn't bother me much. It's part of being a dog owner.

My dogs stayed with my parents for 3 months this summer. I vacuumed every day. Its been months since then and they are still finding hair!
[notify]
Winn

Baby polar bears- aren't even this- cute!

Barked: Wed Dec 7, '11 6:31pm PST 
Frequent brushing outside (I like the softer slicker brushes and a metal comb), weekly vacuuming (daily during the coat blowing season), static dusters, lots of lint rollers, and then we ignore the rest. laugh out loud

Since I have a deep love for northern breeds I had to develop blinders so I wouldn't see every tiny little tumbleweed. We do try to keep a pretty tidy house though, even at the height of shedding season. Speaking of which, I just noticed tonight that Winn is starting to blow her coat. A little late for up here, but she came from KY so maybe that accounts for it.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4