GO!

Help me out with these three questions..

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

Barked: Thu Nov 17, '11 10:05pm PST 
Hi,

I was recently given a dog im not sure of his breed, im sure he is a mix. But the women who gave him to me aid he was wee wee pad trained. he's not he goes outside but when we cant go out side (we live in nyc no backyards) and the weather is terrible i place wee wee pads throughout the house, and he pee's on the floor bathroom rug couch and everywhere else besides the pad? how could I get him to stop? Also i've been trying to get the smell out of my sofa, and tried oxyclean, soap. febreeze and it smells so strong still. Another questions is he sheds like crazy and my daughter has asthma, i want to ask if anyone knows if the furminator brush works for the shedding or what i could do about it? Lastly, is I've given him back to back baths and he always stinks, like cornchips?? any recomendations on what I could do
???

Thanks i know its alot but I just got him, and im not sure on what to do?

confused
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Thu Nov 17, '11 11:47pm PST 
If he's peeing in the home where you don't want him to, he's not ready to be unsupervised indoors. I suggest getting an exercise pen (like a playpen for human babies, kind of) and setting him up in that. Put his bed and food/water at one end and a potty pad on the other. He won't want to pee on his bed, so he'll use the pad. (Hopefully.)

When you have time to watch him (really watch him... not when you're cooking or on the computer or doing housework) you can bring him out, but don't let him out of your sight! Usually when dogs are about to pee they signal it in subtle ways like circling and sniffing the ground. If he does this, put him on the potty pad. If he goes, BRAVO! Praise him and give him a treat.

For the shedding, smell and your daughter's asthma, I have a few suggestions. Yes, the furminator does work. But it's kind of expensive, and knock-off versions work just as well. I think you also should start bathing him regularly, at least monthly. It will reduce the amount of dander he sheds in the house (which probably aggravates daughter's asthma.) If you can afford it, take him to a grooming salon that uses high-velocity driers- they literally blow away all the loose hair and will dramatically reduce shedding.

Also, what food does he eat? Seems intuitive that you are what you eat, right? Some people find that switching from a supermarket to a premium dogfood brand improves body odor, that "cheesy/cornchip/old socks odor some dogs have. As a last resort there are doggy "odor eliminator" sprays that you spray on the dog in between baths to control the smell. I believe Nature's Miracle is a good brand for that (they make great carpet cleaner too!)

Why not make a profile for him, by the way? It's free, all you need is a photo. Dogster forums are really fun and we love new members.
[notify]
Tyson

Ball?! Did- someone say- BALL?!!!!!

Barked: Fri Nov 18, '11 10:56am PST 
As far as his toileting issues, I would do some hard core potty training. We're using the umbilical method for our pup. I used on our other dog when he was a pup and it instilled so much that he has "held it" for up to 36 hours before. We had gotten held up and forgot to leave our garage door cracked. As soon as we got home and let him out, he peed for about 5 minutes straight (or so it felt). A lot of dogs need to have their previous potty training reinforced when they are in a new environment.

I've found that plain white vinegar works better than other cleaners for urine removal. Whatever you do, do NOT use anything with ammonia as it will attract them to do it there more.

For the allergies, it isn't so much the actual hair as the dander (think dandruff) and/or the saliva that most people are allergic to. My son and I are both allergic to dogs to where it triggers our asthma. Frequent bathing helps big time. Be sure to use a hair conditioner and shampoo with moisturizers to help prevent dry skin or you'll just be creating your own problem. Also, vacuum your furniture and carpets frequently. We have our older dog trained to enjoy being vacuumed, too. We use a brush or comb first to loosen up his undercoat and then run the upholstery attachment over him. It really helps cut down on the shedding.

If his odor is food related, a bit of yogurt wouldn't hurt things either as long as he isn't lactose intolerant. Like Bruno said, for gassy, stinky pups premium foods will definitely help.
[notify]