GO!

That dog stank that never goes away

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Brutus

Napoleon Complex

Barked: Thu Nov 17, '11 12:38pm PST 
So my family recently brought our min pin ino the house, and despite appropriately frequent baths and waive-downs everytime he comes inside from playing or pottying, my (slightly germaphobic) mother insists that he smells "like a Cheeto". What can we do to bring down little Brutus' stink?
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Thu Nov 17, '11 5:03pm PST 
That "cheeto" or "corn chip" odor is fairly common and if I remember correctly, is caused by yeast overgrowth. What are you feeding?
My recommendations would be to get the dog on a high quality, grain-free diet and you can also try supplementing daily with a bit of apple cider vinegar.

wave

Edited by author Thu Nov 17, '11 5:04pm PST

[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Thu Nov 17, '11 5:12pm PST 
That's interesting Farley....Rexy's feet have always smelled like corn chips and she does not have any yeast issues...
[notify]

Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Thu Nov 17, '11 6:21pm PST 
Hi Rexy puppy

I don't think it's always black and white. Every dog is different consequently, their body chemistry is different too.
I think some dogs may have the smell no matter what, but I always heard it was due to yeast. Even if the dog is already on a low-carb diet, maybe some ACV could help? And even then, if that doesn't help, that just may be the way the dog's body chemistry is. But it doesn't hurt to try and get rid of it it possible! big grin
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Fri Nov 18, '11 11:55am PST 
My vet has said that dogs' feet often smell like corn or potato chips because that's the only place they really sweat. That's why it smells faintly salty and chippy. It doesn't necessarily mean they're unhealthy. My girl's paws always have that faint smell, too, no matter what.

If it's the whole body doggy odor, I agree that often comes from feeding a grain (corn in particular) heavy diet...or the dog has possible yeast overgrowth. Apple cider vinegar (particularly organic with the mother) given daily can really help. So can plain yogurt, a tablespoon a day.

My best friend's Golden used to smell bad no matter how many baths, she started giving yogurt every day and that just about cured it. It helps digestion, so she started looking into feeding her dog better foods. Once she switched that over, his doggy odor really got under control in a matter of a couple months. No more eye boogies, either. big grin
[notify]
The Roo- Crew™- ©®

We go together- like peas &- carrots

Barked: Sat Nov 19, '11 7:37am PST 
Got Freito feet? get some salsa!

I'd bet some apple cider vinegar would cut the smell. Try putting a small dish out at first. I've even heard people giving it to their dogs in their water or food, but when I tried, it gave them tummy aches. Maybe I gave too much?shrug

That might work or some fresh ground coffee!way to go
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Sat Nov 19, '11 6:28pm PST 
Frito feet is common in coonhounds. As is hound dog musk smell. It isn't their diet, nothing is wrong with them-its just how they are.

Daisy smells nice for about as long as it takes her to dry. Then her musk is right back. But hound dog smell doesn't really bother me.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Nov 20, '11 10:32am PST 
I was actually read up on apple cider vinegar just the other day and most of the sites I read said never to give it undiluted. Not sure why but maybe because ACV is hard on the teeth? They all recommended mixing it with food or water.

I agree with those asking what food he eats. Higher quality foods tend to cause less doggy smell and breath.
[notify]
Hazel

Noise Police

Barked: Sun Nov 20, '11 3:31pm PST 
Instead of giving the dog ACV by mouth, you can try rinsing her with dilute ACV during the bath. I have a friend who does exactly this for her own hair, to get rid of dandruff. Since the active ingredient of anti-dandruff shampoo is an anti-fungal compound (yeast is classified as a fungus), it leads me to believe that ACV works as an anti-fungal when applied to the skin.
Here's a link about using it as a scalp rinse:
click
[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Sun Nov 20, '11 4:39pm PST 
what are you feeding? my roommates dog used to stink really bad when they were fed beneful, but then she switched to taste of the wild and the smell disappeared.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2