GO!

Flea Control Questions

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

Mr. JoJo

Barked: Sun Oct 16, '11 10:44am PST 
Can anyone give me a recommendation for a chemical-free flea control? At what age should I start putting flea control on my puppy? The pup gets bathed once a week, but the older dog only gets bathed a couple times a year, if that helps.
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Fri Oct 28, '11 7:31am PST 
I use something called "Flea Free". It just goes in their water. It's basically a garlic extract with some other stuff tossed in for good measure but I can't tell you if it works for sure because they take Comfortis as needed ever few months because we're in a high flea area.
[notify]
Amazing- Grace

Live 2 Lounge

Barked: Fri Oct 28, '11 9:06am PST 
Mr JoJo,
We're flea free because we use Frontline Plus on all the cats and dogs in our household. Mom is a FRONTLINE® Ambassador for Merial because she loves how the product works. The fleas die before getting the chance to lay eggs. Since you can get re-exposed going back outside it may take an average of 2-3 months to break the flea life cycle in your home.
Your pup can be treated at 8 weeks with FRONTLINE®.
Go to bit.ly for a helpful video about fleas on Petfinder.com.
Find a Frontline coupon at www.completekiller.com
I wish you the bestwishes
[notify]

Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sat Oct 29, '11 5:47am PST 
Comfortus is my favorite flea control, a single pill kills fleas for 30 days. Frontline plus works here too but regular frontline is no longer effective.

Natural flea preventatives don't work well and in the face of an infestation, don't work at all.

However, if you insist on "natural" (you do know that natural can be toxic and dangerous?) Go talk to Adam, she know all the latest "natural remedies" that are in style.
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Mon Oct 31, '11 4:38pm PST 
Well this is not the latest in style since it's been used successfully for decades, but diatomaceous earth controls fleas infestations very well and is chemical free in the human grade kind.

Once a week bath might be stripping too much of his natural skin oils, oils can help for parasite repelling too.

Edited by author Mon Oct 31, '11 4:41pm PST

[notify]
Steel

Professional- sock burglar

Barked: Sun Nov 20, '11 7:28pm PST 
We use Comfortis also, and have never had an issue with it.

Zephyr- I also wouldn't use the Flea Free stuff. Garlic is harmful to dogs. Just like onion and chocolate. Garlic is on the list of things that is bad for dogs to ingest, so giving it to them in their water when you are giving Comfortis anyway is not necessary.
[notify]