GO!

Tell me about beagles in the house

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Barked: Sat Oct 15, '11 5:37am PST 
I am currently researching different breeds of dogs to find the best fit for my family. I want a dog that can run with me 3 times a week and will live in the house. I am stuck on beagles because they are energetic, friendly with everyone, and intellegent. But what concerns me is the shedding and if they have a "dog odor". I've read many differnt books and get mixed reviews. So if you own a beagle. what is your experience with shedding and odor. I am willing and able to brush the dog every day to help control shedding in the house, I can bathe the dog as often as needed to keep the odor down. But some dogs have a natural doggy smell that even a bath can't fix. I'd love some feedback.
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Sat Oct 15, '11 12:17pm PST 
The beagle sheds a lot!! I grew up with a beagle mix.

When I moved into an apartment with him it was like having carpet on my rug. LOL

Hound funk is something very special. If you do not like a smelly dog I would avoid he scent hounds, and perhaps some of the sight hounds as well. My Bella isn't too stinky but Daisy is odorific! It is a wall of odor that hits you when you walk into the house. Even bathing, febreeze, vacuuming and washing beds can only control the odor temporarily. This of course varies greatly from hound to hound.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sat Oct 15, '11 3:18pm PST 
I agree with Bella& Daisy. My sister has 2 beagle mixes and cannot bathe enough to get rid of the smell. I have 2 Akita's and no dog smell. She has done everything to get rid of the smell but none of it lasts more than about a week and she actually has to vacuum more often than I do except when mine blow their coats. She also had trouble housebreaking the beagle/springer mix because the beagle most likely came from field lines. That means the dog has much more natural hunting drive and needs a more active owner to prevent boredom and behavior issues.
[notify]

Sophie

Miss Bossy Fluff

Barked: Sat Oct 15, '11 5:38pm PST 
They definitely have a hound smell although not as horrible as some breeds. If you're sensitive to doggie odor the breed may not be a good match.

And yes, they tend to shed like crazy laugh out loud.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Sat Oct 15, '11 9:06pm PST 
Beagles are notorious for being hard to house train. Clean up accidents with a 50/50 mix of water and white vinegar. No dogs from clean kennels/homes are hard to house train if you supervise closely and prevent accidents. Puppies who originate from mass breeding operations/puppy mills or raised in a dirty small place may lose their den instincts. Crate training is the way to go.

Beagles should be walked more than 3 times a week. Jogging with one is great for them. They are active little dogs.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Oct 17, '11 6:55am PST 
Milton,
I agree that crate training helps as well as constant supervision when not crated. My sister had the added problem of her beagle/springer mix having been raised outdoors before my sister bought her for $50 to keep her from going to the pound. My sisters vet estimated Sophie's age at a year and a half,she was living on leftovers/table scraps,in an outdoor pen barely big enough for her to move in and had had at least one litter of puppies before my sister got her. She is now an indoor dog,is very fearful and people shy especially with men and is showing alot of improvement since my sister brought her home but getting her socialized has been an uphill battle.
She is still an absolute sweetheart and wonderful company for my sister. She also had been trained to hunt to some degree because she alerts quite vocally when she picks up the scent of rabbits.
[notify]
Coot

Coot - Did someone say- treat?

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '12 4:18pm PST 
Maybe I just love beagles too much. I have 2 & both are indoor pets. The most my house ever smelled like dog was during the house-training process. Beagles shouldn't be bathed too often because it dries their skin out, even if using gentle shampoos.
Yes my beagles smell after they've run loose. They for some reason enjoy rubbing their necks on dead things, but they will get a bath after such incident.
Beagles are stubborn, but trainable. You have to put in a lot of work into training them, but it is worth it. They are sweet, beautiful, and have lots of energy. You should still make sure to socialize them. My older one does not deal well with the neighbors dogs, and has bitten my cousin's girlfriend's 3yr old, but the boy was annoying him. My younger one though is exactly what you would expect a beagle to be. Friendly with other dogs & cats, good with children. She was more difficult to housetrain than her brother.

There is some shedding, which could probably be controlled better with regular brushing. I merely deal with the hair. I'm sure there may be some hounds who smell badly and constantly. Honestly I'd never given it much thought and just sniffed one of mine. Coot had a bath about a week and a half ago, has not gone loose in the fields or woods since and has no obvious odor.

Mika&Kai: I wish your sister luck in the transition process. Beagles are great companions, but I have definitely known a few that had been abused and become man-shy. And trained to hunt or merely coming from hunting stock, they will still let you know when they're on scent.

Milton: I agree with what you said about their previous home. Coot was inside until weaned & was then in a small fenced area when I adopted him. Millie's pen was much smellier. I crate trained both & while Coot never messed in the crate, Millie had a harder time with it. I hadn't thought of that being the reason though, so thanks for that information.
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '12 10:32pm PST 
Jake has dog smell and jake has loads of fur which he sheds all over.

He's a pure beagle with dog smell. My grandfather's beagle smells nothing like jake. Jake can knock you back. to solve this he gets a profession deshedding bath once a month then an oatmeal back mid way through the month by me in our bathroom at home. I brush him everyday and clean his ears 2-3 times a week.

He always has this smell but they sell this niefty dog perfumes/ sprays which i spritz him with before he gets in bed. And he smells like flowers instead of dog when he cuddles up to me at night.

But in the grand scheme of things Jake's smell isn't so bad. I've met dogs that are way more rank then him. and with the sprays he's much more tolerable in bed. He loves to cuddle with me.

As for running. Beagles should be walked several times a day. Jake and i go for a run/walk for an hour and a half in the morning and then again when i get home from school at night.

Leaving him alone in the house. Jake cannot be trusted. I know some beagles who are good. Jake is not one of those beagles. Thankfully i adopted him house broken and neutered but when he gets nervous he'll still pee in the house so he stays in a crate or in the back yard.

Beagles though are great pets and full of energy. Jake loves to run outside or at the dog park for house or when we're at home he'll just chill with me on the bed while i study. They're a great pet. and each is unique. These are just some of jakes beagleness i've noticed as his third owner. big grin
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Mon Jan 2, '12 11:01pm PST 
Would it be weird IF I said I never noticed a difference in the smells between my Beagle and other breeds of dogs, even after having worked in a doggy daycare and having many other dogs in the family? Is it that I got used to 'dog smell' or...? I HAVE noticed that my moms Rottweiler's shed more and STINK BAD gross smells all the time.. I don't even like touching her dog.

Charlie sheds, but he only sheds very badly when he's stressed out. If you're dressed for work - keep the dog off you or a lint roller at hand! But after living with all sorts of other breeds like Rotties, Mastiff's, etc, I don't find Beagles to shed too bad at all.

I also don't notice any distinctive, gross odor unless he's wet, which.. well.. wet dog smell is typical for any breed.
[notify]
Gunner

Rut Ro - Did I do that?

Barked: Tue Jan 3, '12 3:02pm PST 
I have had my Beagle, Gunner, for about 6 months now and he is inside. I have never noticed him having an odd smell (besides gas which can clear a room) or shedding. He had his first bath the other day because he decided to dive into a ditch full of water and he still smells like the shampoo and little fragrance spritz I put on him afterward. Gunner does not run free though.. unless we are playing fetch because of his tendency to not come when called. I think there are some other things you should think about too, as previously stated they are a little stubborn and harder to house train than some other dogs might be (they are food driven so I can get Gunner to mostly listen to commands if I have some treats) and they can howl like crazy. It is a sound you either love or will want to wear earplugs. I grew up with hounds so it doesn't bother me. However, when we go visit my mom and he starts howling it makes her want to scream. Also Gunner is very active and wants constant attention (he has separation anxiety as well) and if he gets bored or feels he should be getting more attention he will act up (sometimes will just look me in the eye and potty inside even though he knows better). You will definitely have to exercise him pretty hard every single day.
However, he is the cutest dog and has stopped traffic twice to be told so (had to brag about my baby a little laugh out loud. He does things that make me laugh and brings more happiness to my life than I ever thought he could. He prances around with his floppy ears and is the most loving, kind animal. He loves children, cats, and other dogs. I myself think the positives outweigh the negatives in Beagles with my lifestyle at least. My boyfriend actually tells me Gunner is pretty much me in canine form. Whether you decide on a Beagle or not I wish you luck in finding which breed fits your life.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3