GO!

Are black dogs more smelly?

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Olive

Lab/Rottie/Chow/- Shepherd Mix!

Barked: Thu Sep 15, '11 4:31am PST 
I've heard this rumor - is there any truth to it?

Olive is a pretty clean girl, but once in awhile there's a whiff of "dog" that comes off her and I have no idea where it's coming from. Someone told me that black dogs just stink more!
[notify]
Twister

wouldn't harm a- fly...XD

Barked: Sat Sep 17, '11 11:44am PST 
I highly doubt there is any truth to that. Sounds more like people putting down black dogs simply for being black. I have had two black dogs (Twister & another mostly black collie mix), and neither one ever stank very much. Twist actually has a nice 'earthy' smell, more than likely since he loves to roll in dirt. My sister's little brindle dog is the one that stinks it up. big grin

ETA: Dogs are going to smell like dogs; and some may have, em, tummy issues. It all depends on the individual dog, sometimes the breed, but more than likely the culprit is the diet of the dog.

Edited by author Sat Sep 17, '11 11:46am PST

[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Sat Sep 17, '11 11:51am PST 
No way! Bruno is NEVER stinky, and he's an all-black dog. His coat gets a little greasy when he hasn't been bathed in long time, but it never smells unpleasant. And in case you think I'm just used to him and don't smell it anymore, I also live with a black Lab named Sampson and he STINKS big time. Not all the time, but sometimes I just blasted with "stinky dog smell" when he's next to me. I will NEVER get used to that. laugh out loud

I also know some non-black stinky dogs. Smelliest dog I ever met was a tan-colored Bloodhound. Second smelliest is a blue merle Aussie.
[notify]

Twister

wouldn't harm a- fly...XD

Barked: Sat Sep 17, '11 12:15pm PST 
The smelliest dog I have smelled has been a Basset Hound (but I suspect the owner did not take proper care of the old guy's earsconfused).
[notify]
Scruffy

In Loving Memory

Barked: Sun Sep 18, '11 4:59pm PST 
Who told you that?? eekeekeek

Scruffy is all black and doesn't smell. He'll sometimes have a doggie smell if he gets wet but it's very faint and it goes away when he dries.

Worst smelling dog I ever met was a Basset Hound, but he had a very greasy coat and was probably never groomed and the poor thing was so fat he could hardly walk. cry

Edited by author Sun Sep 18, '11 5:01pm PST

[notify]
Elka, NTD

Where's Gumby?

Barked: Sun Sep 18, '11 5:15pm PST 
Elka counts as a black dog, I think (black and rust Doberman).

When she was a puppy, she smelled like brownies when she was sleeping. As an adult, her ears still kinda smell like chocolate. Her feet don't smell, her breath doesn't smell. The only thing that occasionally smells bad is her butt, and I don't make a practice of sniffing that. It's just sometimes ambient.

I don't remember the black labs I knew as being smelly. Also, my dad's friends had some kind of black shepherd-y mix who was outside A LOT (on a line) and she wasn't smelly either.

Sounds like more black dog prejudice to me, as somebody earlier posited.
[notify]
CoCo

Full of Beans!

Barked: Sun Sep 18, '11 5:43pm PST 
What! No way, it's all in the food. You are what you eatkitty
[notify]
Daegan

Roll down the- window!

Barked: Sun Sep 18, '11 7:46pm PST 
What?? No way! Daegan smells doggish only after he's been outside for awhile, but Khloe never smells bad. In fact, I was depressed when I had a cold recently and couldn't smell her. frown
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Sep 18, '11 8:40pm PST 
Haven't heard that one before laugh out loud

I live with a solid black dog, a primarily black dog, and the bf has a primarily black dog- none of them stinks at all. As others have said, diet usually makes all the difference.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Sun Sep 18, '11 9:01pm PST 
There is Actually some truth to this... but it's not quite as straight as that. Black dogs Can get hotter faster, and a dog that is hot can smell more. Honestly though I have 4 black and white border's and one red, and the Least smelly dog I've ever owned was mostly black.

Good food, good quality shampoo and Complete drying when you bathe normally will help with doggy odor. If you wash and let air dry often dogs will get smelly faster.

Some dogs just smell more, but no I don't think it's a black dog thing.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4