GO!

Dog-Safe ways to get rid of stray cats

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Charlie

Can I eat that?

Barked: Tue Aug 9, '11 6:23am PST 
This is more of a clean yard issue, but the yard is part of the home so it was the closest related forum I could think of smile

Stray cats are invading my small yard. In Turkey, street animals are very common so the idea of calling a local shelter to take them isn't an option. I can tell by looking at them that they are not healthy. They have started sleeping in Charlie's dog house and using his play areas as their toilets. I need to get rid of them! I did a search and found things that wouldn't be safe for Charlie (egg shells and chicken wire cant be layed around when you have a romping pup) Any ideas on how to keep these annoyances away?
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Tue Aug 9, '11 2:19pm PST 
I don't suppose you have an automatic sprinkler system in the yard you could set to go off during the night and scare the cats away?
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Aug 9, '11 3:23pm PST 
We have had EXCELLENT results by spraying lemon juice on items in the area we are trying to keep cats away from.
Once it was a person's rose beds... stray cats were ruining the roses and peeing on them all the time. I suggested the lemon juice and he sprayed a dilute mix of lemon juice and water directly ON the roses. Worked like a charm. He did have to respray after rain, but now only sprays once a week.
Another was the vestry entrance at a local church. Again, mostly urine spraying was the issue but, again, lemon juice mixed with water worked like a miracle from above.
It is certainly inexpensive and won't hurt to try it!!!
[notify]

Bingley,- Emmett &- Martika

Little Ewoks

Barked: Tue Aug 9, '11 4:04pm PST 
I second the lemon juice idea. Cats hate it.
[notify]
Charlie

Can I eat that?

Barked: Tue Aug 9, '11 10:18pm PST 
We don't have an automatic sprinkler system but I have found "convienent" times to water the grass wink (never watering the cats, just presenting the water gets them going)
Im going to buy a bag of lemons and a spray bottle today! That sounds cheap and great! Thanks so much. Here's to anticipated victory cheer
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Tue Aug 9, '11 11:14pm PST 
What about a motion-activated sprinkler?
Works like a charm for deer...

Thanks for the lemon juice trick! I will for sure test that one out!
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Aug 10, '11 4:59am PST 
It's way cheaper if you can find a bottle of concentrated lemon juice, like real lemon makes. Good luck!!!
[notify]
Glacier

Slick as Ice

Barked: Thu Aug 11, '11 6:20pm PST 
I wouldn't worry too much, as your pup gets older he'll become a pretty good cat deterrent on his own. Huskies are known cat killers with a high prey drive. Nothing in our yard lives.

For the time being, the lemon juice and other citrus sprays are known to work. It's what we use at Christmas to keep the cats away from the tree.

P.S. What part of Turkey? My husband and I visited last October.

Edited by author Thu Aug 11, '11 6:21pm PST

[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Thu Aug 11, '11 8:29pm PST 
Hey Charlie, I would love to come and chase your cats for you. Spraying them with water is a good way to make them leave until you get old enough to understand, CATS ARE FUN WHEN THEY RUN. dog walk
[notify]
Charlie

Can I eat that?

Barked: Sun Aug 14, '11 7:44am PST 
Oh Fritz how right you are. He's pretty good about taking care of them when he's outside, but I dont like waking up and seeing kitties sleeping cozy in his doggie house!

Glacier: Istanbul smile
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3