GO!

Dog Destroying house HELP!!

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Brody

I brake for- bones!

Barked: Wed Jul 27, '11 8:08pm PST 
IF it's anxiety I think the experts warn against putting them into the crates...

No ideas as to how to keep him angelic when you arne't home
[notify]
Trixie

Lookin' Pretty

Barked: Wed Jul 27, '11 9:17pm PST 
Anxiety destruction generally occurs around doors and windows, because the dog is desperate to find you. Boredom destruction is more when they chew whatever happens to be around in the room, such as the speakers.
[notify]
Jasper

Whut?

Barked: Thu Jul 28, '11 7:14am PST 
Needs a good long walk/hike/run/bike before you leave the house. A tired dog is a good dog laugh out loud Worth a try anyway. way to go
[notify]

Abby Grace

It's a Wonderful- World

Barked: Thu Jul 28, '11 12:40pm PST 
We agree with Jaspar, a good walk is great - relieves anxiety and labs are so high energy -
[notify]
Tohbi - Deceased- 10/04/2013

Blue-Eyed Devil

Barked: Fri Jul 29, '11 8:43am PST 
Everyone is giving very good advice. Tohbi ate my house. Literally. Huge chunks missing everywhere. It was much worse for me because I couldn't crate him (he was one of those rare [ahem, psycho] puppies who would react so badly to crating that he injured himself quite badly). But - he calmed down A LOT around age 2. It was very bad between 18 months and 2 years. So all I can say is that you're probably at the worst of it. I hope it gets better soon. Tohbi was completely trustworthy home alone right around age 3 (probably a bit before).
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Fri Jul 29, '11 9:24am PST 
Crate, crate, crate! dog Make the crate fun for him. When you leave give him a kong with frozen yogurt, or a deer antler or bully stick. Leave the stereo on as well. Give him something to chew on while he's in the crate, chewing is calming to dogs. Don't make a bid deal when you leave, when you come home make a big fuss over how good he was while you were gone, take him for a walk as a reward.!
[notify]
Buddy

Giving my paw- can get me- anything!

Barked: Sat Jul 30, '11 8:34pm PST 
I crated my two until I could trust them alone in the house. Now, I can accidentally leave a bag of something out and when I come home it will be untouched! This is coming from a dog who tore off a piece of a couch as a puppy. They both calmed down, I trained the heck out of them and now I can leave for work and not worry one bit. They have plenty of comfy beds to curl up on while I'm gone. They don't even mess with the blinds anymore, which used to be a problem.

For now, I would crate him. Wait until you feel more comfortable with leaving him out. The day may or may not come.
[notify]
Candy- 4/13/99 - 2/8/09

Beware! dog- can't control- her licker!

Barked: Sun Jul 31, '11 7:23pm PST 
I am a Lab person and volunteer with a Lab rescue. There are a few reasons people dump Labs between the ages of 6 and 24 months (males more than females)...

The top 3:
3rd most popular reason: Can't toilet train
2nd most popular reason: Too active and noisy
And the number 1 reason: destructive when not supervised

Male labs may never truely grow up, it's part of their charm
I had a female field Lab years ago, easy to train, but very active and noisy.
My second Lab was a nice pet quality girl. I met her parents and 2 aunts, all nice relaxed dogs. Candy was great in many ways. But at 18 months I left her out with our Elderly Pit mix while we went to church. She dug a hole in the wall to wall carpet.

Your boy would have it much easier if his humans aren't annoyed with him every day when they come home. He may be terrified when not safe in his crate.

Give him a good walk in the morning and evening. Crate him for another year to year 1/2.
Weaning off the crate is a slow and careful process. Gates would be a good idea at that time.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2