GO!

Dog Destroying house HELP!!

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Max

Barked: Sun Jul 24, '11 8:36pm PST 
My 1.5 year old lab is Kenel trained. We are slowly trying to leave him out with our 7 year old pit bull during the day because we are moving to a house with a yard so he is going to be out all day! But the problem is when ever we are gone he eats things in the living room. He loves to take the cover off the speaker and eat the cone out of the middle. And movies off the book shelve and his most recent discovery is to get on the back of the couch and get stuff off the shelves off the wall. I need help with either a spray that I can get on line or a home remedy to put on the things he likes to chew! He does not chew when we are home he is an angel when we are home its just when we are gone! The only problem is I live in Japan so it has to be something that can be shipped over seas or something common I can get at the grocery store!! Thanks for you help!
[notify]
Pookie

plush destroyer

Barked: Sun Jul 24, '11 10:09pm PST 
You need to crate him while you're not home, no bitter spray is going to help you with his destructiveness. He's obviously not yet trustworthy enough to leave loose in the house.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Sun Jul 24, '11 10:12pm PST 
Well, some dogs are never safe to leave alone, and must be crated when unsupervised their whole lives. Some people choose to crate even non-destructive dogs, simply for safety and peace of mind. It's really not harmful, I know that at least my dog sleeps all day anyway, and he's not crated.

Labs are also notorious for being slow to mature mentally and emotionally- you might have to wait another year before he's really "grown up" enough to leave unsupervised in the house.

I don't think there is any product effective enough for you- he would always find something else to chew on, and besides, dogs tend to get used to and even start to like the taste of various "no chew" sprays.

Speaking of chews, does your dog have enough chew toys he's allowed and encouraged to chew on, instead of the furniture? Chewing is basic, primal need of dogs, and it needs a safe outlet.
[notify]

Buddy

Barked: Sun Jul 24, '11 10:41pm PST 
Do you think it's anxiety based behavior? Buddy is a very high anxiety dog and seems to not be able to handle being loose in the house when we are gone. We tried leaving Buddy and Maya in our backyard, but they barked and put deep scratches into the fence. Ultimately, we decided to leave them in their crates while we're gone. It's worked wonderfully. They both just lay down and sleep while we are at work. Buddy actually looks forward to going in his crate and will nap in there during the day when we are home.

I do have to add that we had Buddy alone for about a year before we got Maya. He could not be left home alone, even if he was in his crate. He actually broke out of his crate a couple of times and injured his leg. He would also have diarrhea in there. We had to put him in doggy day care or take him where we were going. I think for him it's more that Maya is in a crate next to him now so he doesn't feel like he's alone.

I think it's definitely worth trying out the crate as others have suggested as well!
[notify]
Buddy

Barked: Sun Jul 24, '11 10:41pm PST 
*Eats double post*

Edited by author Sun Jul 24, '11 10:42pm PST

[notify]
Max

Barked: Mon Jul 25, '11 12:07am PST 
Hmmm yeah I never thought about it as he might just need to "grow up" or anything like that I just thought that I wasn't training him well or something like that! He loves his kenel any time I put my shoes on or go to the cookie jar he goes straight in there and waits for me or he will lay in there and nap when we are home! I Appreciate everyone's input that is very comforting to know that I'm not doing anything wrong! As for chew toys he has a whole bin of toys but he never touches any of them except his soccer ball and his blankets!
[notify]
kai

why are they not- all bowing?

Barked: Mon Jul 25, '11 11:24am PST 
Oh my good friends lab is the horror story of dogs left unkenneled I don't know how he made it out of 3 years of 'puppyhood' alive. He drank a box of wine, he learned how to open the cupboards and ate EVERYTHING out of them multiple times. He opened the stove and ate the casserole that was cooking on low all day. Garbage, garbage, garbage galore. He is the poster dog for 'crate that bleeping dog before he kills himself!' I will give you something to give you to compare against. I have a brilliant Border Collie mix, has never been a 'doofus' could discern between the dog toys and the baby toys when her ears were still floppy and she is JUST at 20 mos getting 1-2 hours trust trials to see if she is ready for all day out eventually since even with all those brains and restraint, a bored dog is a destructive dog and she requires A LOT of entertainment and her trials before ended with dollar size holes in my carpet..... Crating is not bad if they are less safe and your house is less safe without it, no need to feel guilty unless they are not getting enough excercise and attention in the time they are out and if they are not, then adjust the time out to be more dog friendly so you don't have to feel bad about them being in there when they have to be.
[notify]
Alice

I am the Keeper

Barked: Mon Jul 25, '11 3:25pm PST 
I opened the fridge, cupboard doors, the closet the grabage was kept in
I could open peanut butter jars!

labs are great dogs
[notify]
Alice

I am the Keeper

Barked: Mon Jul 25, '11 3:26pm PST 
I opened the fridge, cupboard doors, the closet the grabage was kept in
I could open peanut butter jars!

labs are great dogs
[notify]
The Hounds- of- Bassetville- +3

Food? Where?!?

Barked: Wed Jul 27, '11 10:55am PST 
I second crating while you are away. All six of my hounds are crated when no one is home and they do just fine! I feel better because they are safer and can't get into any trouble. IMO leaving a dog (especially one that is not completely trustworthy) out alone in your house is about as dangerous as leaving a 2 year old child alone! There are too many things that can (and DO) go wrong. No matter how dog-proofed you think your house is... there is always something for them to get into and possible get hurt.

Just my two cents. wink
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2