GO!

WEEDS! Is there any kind of dog friendly weed killer?

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
♥Moll- y♥

Loyal- Sweetheart!

Barked: Fri Jul 8, '11 1:19pm PST 
Not sure if this belongs here, but there are weeds surrounding our fence. Molly LOVES to eat the grass and sometimes weeds along the fence. We are really worried about using weed killer on them, because of this. This is probably a long shot, but is there any type of all natural, chemical free, non-poisoness weed killer? If so, where can we get it at and how much approximately will it cost?

Thanks!
[notify]
Bingley,- Emmett &- Martika

Little Ewoks

Barked: Fri Jul 8, '11 1:50pm PST 
Sometimes pouring boiling hot water on the weeds will work.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Fri Jul 8, '11 2:32pm PST 
Another option is burning the weeds if you have a torch or weed burner. Wouldn't try that if they're growing against a wooden fence, of course.

I've occasionally used the herbicide Roundup (glyphosate) in my garden- there are mixed reviews on whether it's dangerous or not. EPA says no, some environmental orgs say yes. I think used correctly, occasionally, and minimally, it is not very risky. Really nothing in life is totally safe, you have "pick your poisons" (this case literally!) I don't think any substance capable of killing weeds is "non-toxic."
[notify]

Violet

hey good looking- ....what ya got- cookin

Barked: Fri Jul 8, '11 5:20pm PST 
boiling hot water works great as well as vinegar just put the vinegar in a sprayer and away you go it works great and is cheap
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jul 8, '11 7:15pm PST 
My boss claims white vinegar works - and he's been running his nursery for 13 years, so I guess he should know. I do believe he adds one tablespoon of molasses and two tablespoons of sugar to one gallon of regular white vinegar thinking Haven't seen it in action myself, but it'd be a cheap and safe option (though the grass might taste odd for a bit!)
[notify]
♥Moll- y♥

Loyal- Sweetheart!

Barked: Fri Jul 8, '11 7:47pm PST 
AWESOME! Thanks for everyone's help! applause

Vinegar seems like the best option out of those AND maybe the taste of vinegar on the grass will stop Molly from eating grass period. smile
[notify]
Tigger

I'm- Tiggerriffffic!!- !!!

Barked: Sat Jul 9, '11 6:10am PST 
boiling water works. be careful not burn yourself.

vinager and molasses work. i have some mixed up. it's best to use as soon at they start to come up. and soak them early in the morning too. the cider vinager and molasses help with ants too. howard garrets website has all the recipes.

tigger pulls weeds up and attacks them and then wants you to chase him for them. i have wild ferns growing and both dogs have destroyed those.

the best weed control is to pull them up, if your back can take all that bending. and also the healthier your grass the less weeds you have. so water water water if you can afford it.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Sat Jul 9, '11 8:38am PST 
Honestly?

Removing the weeds by hand is probably the easiest and cheapest way to go.

If you are using either boiling water or vinegar you're going to have to pour a decent amount directly on the base of the plant.

If bending is an issue. You can now buy weeding gadgets that allow you to stand and weed.

Edit: missed Bruno's post regarding Roundup.

I personally won't use pesticides or synthetic fertilizers in my yard as I grow my garden and flowers organically, but I agree with Bruno that Roundup is *relatively* safe.

Keep in mind that it will kill the grass as well.
I personally would only use this for very invasise noxious weeds where handpulling doesn't work (bindweed and toadflax come to mind).

Edited by author Sat Jul 9, '11 8:42am PST

[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Sat Jul 9, '11 6:32pm PST 
I have a problem with weed trees growing along my fence. We cut them back and they just grow back no matter what. They are woody trees so vinegar and hot water don't do anything. It's really frustrating!

I did find an organic weed killer that said it was pet safe, I think it used some types of plant oils?
[notify]
Tyson

Ball?! Did- someone say- BALL?!!!!!

Barked: Sun Jul 10, '11 7:43am PST 
I've used vinegar before as well. I mix it with equal parts water and add a few tablespoons of dish soap to it depending on the volume I need. The dish soap will break down the waxy surface that many weeds have and help the vinegar to stick better. The downsides to using vinegar is that it is an all around herbicide, anything it is on can/will die and it may need to be reapplied depending on the tenacity of the weed. I haven't found it particularly useful on field bindweed but that stuff is, I believe, the plant most closely related to cockroaches. It's near impossible to kill.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2