GO!

Puppy-safe cleaner for wood floors?

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

Ezti

Strangers are- just long lost- friends!

Barked: Tue Jul 5, '11 5:26am PST 
Preferably something I can whip up at home. (I live in Spain and American brands are hard to find/ridiculously priced.)

Any suggestions? Just looking for something to add a bit of shine, deal with scuff marks, and help me get all the random fur under control.

(We haven't bought a vac yet, so sweeping is how I've been trying to control puppy fly-aways. Not very effective!)

Thanks everyone!
[notify]
Gunner

Gunna get \'em!

Barked: Tue Jul 5, '11 11:06am PST 
Try a mixture of vinegar and water. Just be sure to go behind yourself with a towel to sop up and moisture if your floors are all wood. smile
[notify]
Violet

hey good looking- ....what ya got- cookin

Barked: Tue Jul 5, '11 1:05pm PST 
a tiny bit of dish soap works great and wont ruin the finish on your floors.murphys oil soap works great if you can get it a big bottle will last a year and its cheap.the acid in the vinegar can eat away the finish on your floor over time.
[notify]

Tyson

Ball?! Did- someone say- BALL?!!!!!

Barked: Tue Jul 5, '11 8:20pm PST 
I don't know if they have a different version but a lot of people have found that a damp swiffer is good for in between more intensive cleanings. You could use a microfiber with it to be sure that those hairs really stick to it. I use the swiffer to clean my tub and anything else below my waist (front of stove, dishwasher, lower cabinets) on days when my arthritis kicks up. I don't usually use the disposable cloths, I use microfiber cloths.
[notify]
Neeko

I listen...when- I want to

Barked: Thu Jul 7, '11 2:27am PST 
We use Bona. Works pretty well, I think. I believe it is dog and kid safe. It does say "keep out of reach of children" on the bottle, though. thinking
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Jul 7, '11 6:12am PST 
Second the Murphy's oil soap. This is a good, cheap all purpose cleaner and smells good too.

I am not sure about wood surfaces, but Simple Green is also good, and safe. In our children's department of the library they use it to clean the vinyl furniture because kids and tots will like the upholstery and all kinds of weird stuff. I'm planning on doing our sea of linoleum with that...
[notify]