GO!

Ant Problem

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

Belladonna

Belladonna- One big diva!

Barked: Sat Jul 2, '11 4:39pm PST 
My dog is great! And I mean it, she doesn't bark, she is house trained, she does jump and she won't go out of her way to lick you in the face. And this problem isn't really her fault...Whenever she eats, she will lift her head and even walk a little from her bowl, as she does so, food will fall from her jowls (she is a bulldog). Well I sometimes don't get to picking them up because she usually will eat them. Sadly, when she doesn't, ants will come in. Yesterday was the worst though! We were out nearly all day with her and when we got back, it was like a colony had come into the house, even going as far INTO her bowl! We got a pet friendly ant spray and got them and then mopped the floor before letting her back into the kitchen but I really just want the ants to stop coming in. Can anyone suggest something to stop them? A special mat or something? I'm getting really frustrated with it.
[notify]
Sage

Hanta Yo, in a- playful manner I- come

Barked: Sat Jul 2, '11 7:43pm PST 
I learned this trick from a very old man when I was a small child. At your local grocery store buy a can of the square snuff. This is the very fine powder that people used to snort in their nose. If you know where the ants are coming in the house at, place a fine line of this snuff across the opening. The ants will not cross it. Also, if the ants are coming in from an area you dog can not get to, you can buy a box of 20 mule team borax laundry detergent. Take 1 cup of the borax and mix in 1/4 cup of powder sugar, and place where tha ants can get it but not your dog. In 2 days the entire ant colony will be dead.

I used to be a pest control tech. this is a great organic alternative to chemicals as borax is a natural mineral, but it is toxic to pets, so please be sure you pet can not get to it.

Grants Ants baits work great. They look lke the roach motel baits.
[notify]
Abner

Basset Hound- with a Flatty- suit on

Barked: Sat Jul 2, '11 9:46pm PST 
You know what worked for me? BABY POWDER.

I swear, I had a horrific outbreak. I put it everywhere and they were gone in a day or two. Then I vacuumed it up. The cornstarch stuff will kill them. The other just makes them leave. I just made them leave.
[notify]

Libby

Shake it baby!

Barked: Sun Jul 3, '11 5:10pm PST 
Sage and Abner, those are great tricks to know! Thanks so much!happy dance
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sun Jul 3, '11 6:28pm PST 
Find the nest and pour boiling water on it.It will kill all of the ants and their eggs. Completely nontoxic too.
[notify]