GO!

Vacuum recommendations?

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Tue Jun 21, '11 1:55pm PST 
I'm pretty sure my vacuum just cleaned it's last rug, ha. It's pretty much a miracle that it lasted as long as it did, I think. With a long haired dog, a messy fiance, and three very messy house rabbits, any vacuum we get has to be able to take a lot of abuse.

So now we're in the market for a new one. The most important thing is that I use it a ton to clean up after my pets. I use it to clean the rabbit hair/stray pieces of hay and dog hair.

I don't really want to spend a ton either. The more the vacuum costs, the longer I'll have to wait to buy it. We just spent a ton of money on a new living room set so if the vacuum we choose to buy is really expensive we'll probably wait a few paychecks to buy it. I don't want to go to long without a vacuum.

Any recommendations? Ideally I'm looking for something on the cheaper side but if you can recommend one that's amazing but more expensive I can see what I can work out.

Thanks.
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Tue Jun 21, '11 2:35pm PST 
I have never met a cheap vacuum that could handle my house with two dogs and my (human) hair (sometimes my human hair kills a vacuum first).

So, I bought a Dyson Animal Ball refurbished off of Overstock.com and I will never own a different brand.

My parents thought I was crazy. Then my dad used my vacuum at my house and realized you could vacuum over rugs and bathmats without sucking them into the vacuum. And that is the reason he bought his.

The first night they used it in their house they were totally grossed out at how much dirt their normal (very good brand) vacuum had been leaving behind.
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Tue Jun 21, '11 4:14pm PST 
I also bought a Dyson Animal refurbished from Overstock. It was much cheaper than buying new (several hundred dollars cheaper). Prior to that, I used a Shark Infinity which I also like, it doesn't suck up as much junk as the Dyson does but doesn't do a bad job. The reason I replaced it was because the belt started busting all the time and the canister was kind of a pain to clean out. I still have it, it just lives in the basement now. I don't know if Shark makes a belt-less vacuum, but if they do that might not be bad because they are on the cheaper side. You don't want to go TOO cheap, then it just won't last.
[notify]

Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Tue Jun 21, '11 6:20pm PST 
Thanks smile

I'll look into the prices of Dyson and see if maybe I can find one used/refurbished for not too too much. I didn't mean I was necessarily looking for something "cheap", but something not too expensive either. Maybe mid range?

The vacuum we have that just died on us is an older model dirt devil and I was perfectly happy with it up until recently when it started dying on us. It did a great job even sucking up big pieces of hay off the floor from my rabbits during the good 2 years, a bit longer, that it lasted. It wasn't too expensive, but did a good job for the time we had it. Hopefully if we decide to get something more expensive it actually lasts us longer this time.

We actually don't even have a lot of carpet in our apartment either - one small room is carpeted plus we have one large area rug and a couple of very small area rugs. I also use the hose attachment to vacuum out my rabbit cage.
[notify]
Peaches- ♥

I'm adopted!!

Barked: Thu Jun 23, '11 5:11pm PST 
I know Dyson's are expensive but I can tell you that I'd gladly pay the price all over again for the clean we get.

We had a mid-priced vacuum and were reasonably happy with it but had an opportunity to get a Dyson for a good price. After vacuuming with the old one then immediately running the Dyson, I thought we wouldn't get much out of the carpet. Boy was I wrong!!! We had to empty the canister THREE TIMES!!! and this was from carpet that before we considered clean!

If it were me, I'd borrow someone's vac or buy a really cheap one and save up the money to buy the Dyson.
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Thu Jun 23, '11 5:47pm PST 
Bought a dyson animal (not the ball kind) and I LOVE IT!! hamster dance It's amazing how much yuck it can pick-up... It's worth the money, no doubt!blue dog
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Thu Jun 23, '11 5:56pm PST 
Sorry to hijack, but would a Dyson still be worth it for hard floors with many small area rugs?
[notify]
Glacier

Slick as Ice

Barked: Fri Jun 24, '11 12:44pm PST 
Good question Rexy!

I have a Bissell Pet and is was about $189 three years ago. It's held its own and done well...but I'm wondering if it might be approaching its end. It cleans carpets really well, but not as good on the hardwoods. I want a vacuum that I can put just under the furniture and it'll suck all the dust bunnies out. A Dyson will do that, right? It's been awhile since I've used my friend's.

Also, what is their durability like? If I shell out the dough for one, I want it to last through ten years of strenuous weekly cleaning, you know?
[notify]
Bella

Miss Boss

Barked: Fri Jun 24, '11 3:02pm PST 
I have the Dyson Animal too and if you buy it new it has a five year warranty. That was a major selling point for me because between the dogs the cat and my hair we break vacuums at an amazing rate!
[notify]
Mikey

You know you- want to pet me

Barked: Sat Jun 25, '11 11:10am PST 
I've been wanting to buy a Dyson Animal vacuum, but I am totally skeptical about it's ability to suck up dirt at greater strength than most other good brands.
My fear was that I'd dump $400+ into one and be disappointed.

As someone else asked, does it go from hardwood floor to carpet with ease and is the hose attatchment (for corners or upolstry) good?
And, really important for me, is it some what quiet? My Hoover, purchased in the mid 90's, is so incredibly loud that I wear ear plugs and it freaks Mikey out, so I'd love to have a quieter vacuum.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4