GO!

So I'm not sure how Sam-related this is...

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Sam

I can get out of- anything...

Barked: Fri Jun 3, '11 7:48am PST 
...but I want some advice...the other day (some have heard the story) I had a leak from the upstairs neighbors and the water got on my carpet along with some pee that sam had everywhere and poo and I did a carpet clean (I have one of those bissels) and it never really dried and then it started to smell so so so bad. Over the week the musky smell grew worse and worse and I am 100% sure it's the black mold that I have reoccurring in y bathroom that migrated to my wet carpet cause it's so hot and humid in my room. It's to the point where I feel like I can't breathe in there and when I touch the carpet it's yucky and sticky and so so gross and moist. It feels like a giant petri dish. I tried everything and it's not working.

So here is the plan, I decided to buy a dehumidifier and a hepa filter, and the hepa came in already and it's awesome and so quiet. I also got some borax and tea tree oil. So when the dehumidifier comes I will make a water/borax/tto solution, use a watering pot to really wet the carpet and the wood under with the stuff, let it sit a while, then use the carpet cleaner with just water and runit over a few times, and then run teh machines a few days to dry out teh carpet and catch all the spores with teh hepa.

Good plan? Any other ideas?

And also, the borax solution, should I keep Sam off teh carpet till it's dry? Is it toxic?
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Fri Jun 3, '11 8:41am PST 
I think that once you have black mold it's a rip out the room and re-build kind of issue.

I would be very worried about your health living in a place with black mold. Have you talked to your landlord about it?

Sorry I don't know about the rest of your questions and I'm not 100% sure about the black mold but I think that's what I've heard about it.
[notify]
Sam

Barked: Fri Jun 3, '11 9:06am PST 
Yeah my landlord won't do anything I know already. And I can't afford to replace everything. I know you're thinking "Hey you spent all that money on the machines" but I needed them already my house is unbearably damp because it's a half-basement and I get creepy crawlies and stuff. I am also allergic and I always wanted a HEPA.

But I read a lot and they say that if I can't replace then borax is really good. And a dehumidifier will help, they say because the mold will only grow in damp carpet and wood and I bought a real good one...

I don't know I hope it works cause it's getting out of control and I think soon Iwill sleep on the couch
[notify]

Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Fri Jun 3, '11 9:10am PST 
If it is black mold-you would have to move out--ASAP. Even regualr mold, in an extensive area, especially something soft and absorbent like carpet-will need a professional.

Check your lease pronto!!! I live in a humid area and mold is common. If I do not report it at the first sign to my landlord-I am responsible for ALL damages. Including ripping out the apartment to the studs if needed to get rid of the mold. In carpet, it could include ripping up subfloor too. This is a standard clause in our leases down here it is so common.

If it is mold in the carpet-there is no cleaner, NOTHING that will get rid of it. I mean, if you were to bleach, it kills the smell and active mold, but they release spores. So, the next time Sam pees on the carpet, the spores open and mold is right back again.
[notify]
Sam

Barked: Fri Jun 3, '11 9:19am PST 
frown I dunno....

My lease has nothing about anything like that. My landlords are Russians (doesn't say much to most people, but because I am Russian myself, I can attest to their terrible landlordship!)

I hope it is regular mold then, but I hear that the hepa filter will collect the mold spores, no?

I definitely cannot do all those replacements/ repairs myself. I am 100% sure my landlord won't do anything they will say it's my fault. When I had a sewer leakage in the area outside my basement door, and it leaked inside the apartment (!!!) it took them like a week to do something.

And while I know it's dumb that I don;t report/sue/move/something, it's only because in my area it's so hard to find a cheap pet-friendly apartment and the landlord lives in a different area and stays out of my business which is important with a a dog with sep. anxiety that eats the walls for a living.
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Fri Jun 3, '11 9:51am PST 
The HEPA cleaner will only clean the air - it won't help with the existing mold. As a tenant, you have certain rights, including being able to break your lease and move out. Your landlords are obligated to provide safe living conditions.
[notify]
Sam

Barked: Fri Jun 3, '11 9:56am PST 
My lease was up a long time ago. I don't want to move out because of Sam. There are no apartments here with the price I'm paying that take dogs. And like I said, my landlord doesn't bother me about Sam's issues and horrible separation anxiety and destructiveness.

I dunno I was feeling so good and now Iam bummed. I will see if the stuff works. That's why I am using tea tree oil and borax. It's supposed to kill the mold. Then The dehumidifier is supposed to make it all dry up so there's no humidity for them to multiply in. And the hepa is supposed to capture the spores in the air.

Anyway if it fails I will have to take more drastic measures. It is not on the walls or anything yet. But I smell it in the carpet already. And I get a lot of mold in the bathroom in teh corners and tub. My shower curtain gets covered completely and I bleach it every few days.
[notify]
Sam

Barked: Fri Jun 3, '11 9:58am PST 
thanks you guys for the advice. I mean I will see if it does something, and if it doesn't I will talk to my landlord, of course. But I think it's a dead subject.

Too many problems right now, ugh. So so frustrated.
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Fri Jun 3, '11 10:05am PST 
hug
[notify]
Sam

Barked: Fri Jun 3, '11 10:18am PST 
Thanks, Titus, I need that
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)