GO!

I hate carpet...

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Paisley

Flat Coated- RetrievingAlaska- n Cattle Dog

Barked: Sat Feb 12, '11 6:15pm PST 
So our home is, idk... 120 years old? Which sounds cool, but really it just means that it's old as dirt and therefor has all the old-as-dirt-problems (it isn't a neat old house, its really just small and ancient).

Well, others have done SOME work to it, but that SOME work included putting carpet (3 years old) in EVERY ROOM. Because we live on a dirt road, own 3 dogs, a cat, and the Husband hunts/fishes/generally gets exraordinarily dirty...it's a HUGE issue.

It's been fine until I introduced the puppies (Paisley and Pixie) into the house. And although Paisley is housebroken, the smell still lingers. I've tried everything. I've used vinegar and water, I've used Urine Eliminator, I've used the steam vac filled with enzyme killing stuff... The smell WONT go away.

I would give my right arm and a few toes to get rid of the carpet, but I don't think we can. You see, thanks to our 120+ year old house that stands on stilts, the floor is uneven. Yes, our entire floor is made of pine boards that are officially at different level all over the place. I can feel it under my feet when I walk.

That means that we would literally have to rip up our entire floor and replace every board to have anything but carpets.

SO. How do I kill the smell. Or does anyone have an alternative to make a cheap flooring work?
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Sat Feb 12, '11 7:28pm PST 
Um, without quick clean up with an enzyme cleaner most likely the other cleaners pushed the urine down through the carpet into the pad layer.

professional or heavy duty steam cleaning might help, but typically the carpet will need to be replaced.

You could put down a new subfloor layer over the old pine to help even things back out then put down hardwoods.
[notify]
Halo

Howling good- times to be had- with me.

Barked: Sun Feb 13, '11 6:20am PST 
Try Allure flooring. My home is similar in the uneven floors. Allure is rubber but it looks like wood. It runs near 2.00/square foot so, about the same as carpet cost wise but, it's rubber meaning a dust mop daily and a damp sponge mop once or twice a week is all it needs to clean it. And it is a rubber, floating floor so, it flexes and floats right over uneven floors. You can even install it over existing flooring, including carpet. a 300 sq ft area take me about 5 hours to install - no glue and just a box knife and tape measure is all you need to install it.

It is heat resistant, so is fine even if you spill hot grease on it. It's so waterproof that when you mop, moisture beads up on it (as does pet urine) And being non porous, it won't stain or absorb odors either. Just use smaller rugs for places you want a bit of carpet under foot. smile
[notify]

Sam

I can get out of- anything...

Barked: Sun Feb 13, '11 8:09am PST 
I heard of that! It sounds awesome except it's in planks right? I myself want something in my kitchen to replace the linileum tiles I have. sam pees in the kitchen (long story) and it seeps between the tiles and now my house stinks so bad! I looked up that flooring but I am sure the urine can seep between those tiles too... shrug
[notify]
Mikey

You know you- want to pet me

Barked: Sun Feb 13, '11 10:15am PST 
The urine has seeped into the carpet pad and probably into the floor boards.
If at all possible and I'm sure it's really not practical, but could you pull the carpet back and spray whatever you use, onto the floor boards, carpet pad and then the under side of the carpet?
If you soak all of that I bet you can get rid of a lot of the smell.
[notify]
Gunner

Gunna get \'em!

Barked: Sun Feb 13, '11 7:47pm PST 
Halo, you rock. That is an awesome idea... I'm looking it up right now.

And Mikey, you may just be right. I don't know how easy it would be to pull up the carpet, but I'm willing to try! =)
[notify]
Zooey, CGC

Everybody loves- Zooey

Barked: Mon Feb 14, '11 7:56am PST 
Ugh, carpet IS the worst! The place I just moved into has carpet in the master bedroom and the previous tenant had cats that apparently weren't too good at using the litter-box (the landlord is a close friend and said when she went over there once there were three piles of poop on the kitchen counter! The tenant apparently had the litter box in one of the bathrooms and would frequently forget to leave the bathroom door open while she was out so the cats had access to it). After steam-cleaning the bedroom carpet about four times with vinegar and borax I was FINALLY able to get rid of the smell. It was SO horrible! And to make matters worse it's a WHITE carpet. Seriously, who thought that was a good idea? naughty
[notify]
Halo

Howling good- times to be had- with me.

Barked: Mon Feb 14, '11 11:42am PST 
It is all planks BUT, it comes in patterns that look like wood, tile or, natural stone once it's all in place so, no it does not limit you too wood look floors, unless you want hardwood looking floors. I have it home wide except the master bedroom which is carpeted. Wood in the living room (as in the pics of Halo I have here) Stone in the kitchen/dining and tile in the bath. I even used the leftover pieces from doing the house to do my dog houses. It is durable and super easy to clean and keep looking good and odor free and , it is actually textured on the surface to FEEL like whatever it looks like so, not to slippery for doggy paws.
[notify]
Hucky

Barked: Mon Feb 14, '11 12:43pm PST 
Halo, I have that too. I put it in my dining room cause the dogs scratched up my wood floors in there. I love the fact that it floats and is not glued to the floor. It looks like real hardwood floors but because it floats, it could be pulled up easily and no harm done to the orginal floor. And it's so much better than laminate flooring and easier to put down. I think we are talking about the same product. You can cut it with a utility knife, right?
Paisley, you could also do as B&D stated and put down 1/4 plywood sub floor to cover up all the defects in the original floor.Then you could use self stick tiles if you wanted to go alittle cheaper. If you were going to put down real ceramic tile, then the thin set would level the floor.

Edited by author Mon Feb 14, '11 12:52pm PST

[notify]
Zeelie

You Howl?

Barked: Mon Feb 14, '11 1:05pm PST 
Hmm I have rubber floors as well. But I also have hardwood and tile. When we moved in here the whole basement was carpet. I hate carpet with dog fur so that got ripped up and we put tile down. Then the upstairs had the origional hard wood so we restored that. The living room upstairs carpet floor was ripped up and we decided to try that hard wood looking rubber floors, couldnt be happier. When the hardwood floors get ugly enough or I get sick of hearing my husband complain about the dogs nails on the floor (which ever comes first), I will rip that up and put down the rubber flooring.

We actually got into an argument about that the other day how he wanted the dogs outside or not welcome in the hard wood section in the house and I think I recall telling him he should of married his hard wood floors rather then me because all he seems to care about lately is some object thats not a live that can be replace if it gets ugly enough (even tho the 6 layers of Poly on top is virtually bullet proof). He had a very confused look on his face after I said that laugh out loud, poor husband.

I never experienced urine on carpet but a friend did with her cats. She had to rip the flooring up in the end, she even tried to lift it and spray but it never worked frown. It may be worth to put your money into new flooring now rather then to patch something up that may not work.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2