GO!

Pet-Friendly Flooring in Living Room

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sasha Breeze

Barked: Thu Jan 13, '11 12:07pm PST 
I'll be replacing the entire subfloor in the living room in the spring and need suggestions on what would be the absolute longeset-lasting type of flooring to use with pets. I want it to look nice, but carpet is more than likely out simply b/c of how difficult it is to clean. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Thu Jan 13, '11 12:54pm PST 
Hmmm... I don't carpet should be entirely ruled out... If it's brown or tan! smile Read somewhere today that dogs should have carpet or at least area rugs to prevent slipping, which can cause or aggravate joint injuries like ACL tears, especially as dogs get older and are not so graceful anymore...

Area rugs that are rubber-backed or placed on non-skid padding are a good idea too. Then you can just throw them in the washer if they get dirty. These can go over wood, tile, or vinyl flooring. Whatever you like the look of and is within your budget. I've also always loved the look of stained/sealed concrete floors, but that really isn't practical in most houses...
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Fri Jan 14, '11 9:09am PST 
Honestly, carpet is easy on the pets and cheap and easy to replace, so I wouldn't rule it out either. It also hides floating fur much better than a solid surface.

Tile is the easiest to clean by far, and you don't have to worry about stains messing anything up if you don't get to it right away. However, tile is expensive and complicated to put in or remove.

Hardwood laminate floors are what we just installed and they're not as amazing as I had hoped. They DO scratch. Tanuk has not scratched them up I don't think and I dropped a toolbox on them and they were fine, but apparently furniture or something IS scratching ours. It's not obvious, but it's there. It's also a pain because instead of just vacuuming as you do with carpet, I have to now vacuum AND swiffer. It looks great in our home, but has actually caused more upkeep than I realized.

Hardwood floors are up there in price with a good quality tile, but not as hard to install or remove. Just like with the laminate, you'll have to vacuum and swiffer, but you'll also have to treat them every now and then with a protectant. They'll scratch, but at least you'll be able to refinish them at least three times.

Plus, with all the solid surfaces there's the added cost of getting area rugs, and you'll still have to clean those just like carpet.
[notify]

Violet

hey good looking- ....what ya got- cookin

Barked: Fri Jan 14, '11 11:10am PST 
i work at flooring and decorating store
if you want something easy to clean and will look good i would say go with hardwood.it does scrath but it is character. we have harwood in our main level and i love it.quick to clean and just throw down a few area rugs for the pups to lay on.tile and laminate are cold on the feet and both are slippery when wet.
carpet is good to if you go with a good berber you can hid alot of hair.just need to vacume regulary is all.if you like hardwood but not the price try to find enginered hardwood it costs less and is more enviromentaly friendly.the finish also should be in a satin or semigloss to hide marks.
[notify]
Lincoln and Ruby

For Us?

Barked: Fri Jan 14, '11 11:12am PST 
I have no carpets in my house. The basement is all tile and I have some area rugs down there. The kitchen and bathroom upstairs is all tile. Then my living room and all 4 bedrooms are real hardwood. I admit the dogs nails to do a number on the hardwood, but its mostly from Ruby's long thin nails and how she runs and uses the floors as a gripping pad. Lincolns nails havent damaged my hardwood yet....if it does I rip it up and put something else lol

I have had carpet before, I dont like it because it hair sticks. Even with a good vaccuum it still stuck. Thats just my perference
[notify]
Aster

Let's go for a- swim

Barked: Fri Jan 14, '11 1:41pm PST 
I think some of the factory finished hardwood laminate does stand up to dog toenails. I have been very happy with the finish I put on our real oak floor over 10 years ago. It has stood up to years of young Labs and their friends and family. Over Christmas, we had 6 dogs in the house.

I used a moisture cure urethane, Rexthane from Sherwin Willims. It is expensive and hard to find, and all I could find was an ultra high gloss. For all its terrible smell, it goes down as easily as anything else and dries quickly. Put down a couple of coats one day and move the furniture back in the next. Read the label, follow directions, especially the part about good ventilation. Oh, skip the part about ''Not for residential use.'' Do not confuse a moisture cure urethane with stuff like the urethane oils Minwax sells.

No I am not on Sherwin Williams payroll. It is just that they were the only ones I could find that carried the stuff here. It is something I learned about when I worked as a chemist for Ashland Chemical.
[notify]
Rocky

If you don't- claim it, it's- mine!

Barked: Fri Jan 14, '11 5:17pm PST 
For me carpets are a nightmare. The cheapest I would say int erms of flooring I would go with is ceramic, what I really like is oak wood flooring but it's pricey. I would really say that the work to put it down is even more expensive it is also more work to do ceramic that wood. Anyway you go I think the color has a lot to do with it. Mahogany or any dark colors are going to show scratches more and you can't avoid those completely. The carpeting is fastest and cheapest but it depends on your preference. I just don't like them because of potty accidents, staining, drool, they are harder to clean, fleas, insects you name it, it can happen when you have dogs or kids.

Edited by author Fri Jan 14, '11 5:18pm PST

[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Fri Jan 14, '11 9:47pm PST 
Hardwood baby. Best value for home equity too. With the right wood hardness you will avoid most deep scratches -- there's always gonna be light scratching but like someone else said it builds character on the flooring, and it can always be refinished later anyhow (engineered hardwood cannot, however [it will be specified on the sample if it's engineered or not], and obviously neither can laminate flooring/Pergo). It IS the priciest option, especially if you can't install it yourself, but would be the longest-lasting and as mentioned can be refinished rather than need to be ripped out like carpeting. Tile would be the next best, ceramic more durable than marble which is much softer. Throw an area rug over either option for extra comfort -- love area rugs because once they look ratty you just roll em up and get rid of them. We have vintage white oak hardwood in our house and it hides fur WAY better than any carpeting. I sweep and vacuum every other day and sometimes I'm amazed at what I sweep up because the floor hides everything so well. I like wall-to-wall carpet for rooms that don't get a lot of foot or pet traffic. Also be cautious with Pergo near entrances that have potential for any water sitting on them (from wet shoes and so on) -- water will sink down into the padding and it can swell. This happened at our previous house which is now a rental unit and we're actually now planning on replacing the pergo in the summer because it got warped looking.
[notify]
Invader Zim

got tails?

Barked: Sat Jan 15, '11 8:14am PST 
I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate carpet. It's disgusting and no matter how much I steam clean that floor, my room still smells like pee. Which is mostly the doing of Zim, who loves to pee while walking, when taken out of his crate (every time, lol), ect. It's not that big of a deal if I could just wipe it up but even if I clean it up right away it's still nasty. Sooo I'm getting laminate floors installed hopefully next week.

That's what I'd go with, personally. Or real wood floors but they definitely scratch easier.
[notify]
Pepper

If it ain't- blue, it ain't- true

Barked: Sat Jan 15, '11 9:03pm PST 
we have two large dogs, and we just replace the floor in are living room. We used traffic master it looks just like a wood floor, but is very derable. I have had the floor for almost a year now and have yet gotton any nail makes. LOVE this floor best ever and its very easy to put down. big grin dog
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2