GO!

Ants......

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
♥- DarlaMae - ♥

I Am- Iron Nose- !

Barked: Fri Nov 19, '10 10:41pm PST 
We had terrible problems with them at our old place,our were water seekers(dry)& escaping the after rain flood.confused we tried alot of remedies listed along with Cinnamon, Cayenne pepper, Bay leaves,vaseline around the pipes. Place the treatment onto cotton balls & put in cabinets around pipes (away from dog/pets). Seal all areas where they come in if you can & treat around your foundation outside as well.

Darla got into a well hidden Ant bait but thankfully the one we had(plastic)name brand was NON toxic after scaring the cwap out of us.silenced The TINS are not pet safe from what I was told. I won't ever use again though. We have also heard of using white chalk and powder. It also depends what type ants they are. If using the DE be careful of inhalation of the dust.way to go Good luck bleckk making me all itchy,bol.laugh out loud

Edited by author Fri Nov 19, '10 10:44pm PST

[notify]
Quentin- Flagg

King Q - king of clown- town

Barked: Sat Nov 20, '10 8:11am PST 
One of my mother in law's friends made up some boric acid and syrup. She mixed them together, but I don't know the ratio. We put it in a little tray, jar lid, or even on a little piece of foil, and strategically place it where the ants were coming in in our kitchen. It seemed to work because the ants disappeared shortly after we put it out for them.

Barring that mix, we usually just use ant baits set out strategically in the same manner. Of course, we usually get ants coming in inside cabinets or on countertops where it's safe to put the bait. We would certainly never put it where the dog can get to it. We also find that we need to alternate brands of baits every year too because they seem to either become immune or learn to ignore the same bait if we use it again. We also kill all scout ants we see instantly so they can't report back to the colony. If we catch them right away, it really cuts down on them coming in our house.
[notify]
Phoenix, CGC, SC

SHOW ME the- BUNNY!

Barked: Sun Nov 21, '10 7:30am PST 
I bought CedarCide originally for fleas, but also sprayed it where the ants were coming in and I never saw any again! I take that back...the only ones I saw were dead.
[notify]

Arrgee Von- Barkee☺

Will u be my- friend?- (°◡°)

Barked: Mon Nov 22, '10 2:29am PST 
We get ants every summer and winter and it's always an annoying battle. I use a diatomaceous earth ant killer and ant chalk and it works well but they always find another way in. They seem to stay out longer when I put some diatomaceous earth outside and around the house.
I also feel like those ant bait traps that you buy from the store don't work. I put them in the yard and I don't see one ant go in. Am I the only one or are the ants in my yard too smart for it? I was thinking about buying a trap and putting some expired candy and peanut butter in it to lure them in better.thinking
[notify]
Terra

Bonzaiiiiiiii!!!- !!!

Barked: Fri Nov 26, '10 9:11pm PST 
We deal with ants every year. I always end up using ground black pepper. I put it in all the doorjams, and window sill tracks. Also, as I spot them in the house, I try to track down where they're coming in at. Once that's figured out, I try and keep pepper in that area as well. The dog and the cats leave it alone because they don't like the smell, and I don't have to worry about the toxins as it's edible. It's always worked for us.
[notify]
Dunlop

Dunlop-named for- the rider not- the tyer

Barked: Wed Aug 24, '11 9:05am PST 
This sounds a little mean but we used to get green ants & a larger variety that was an inch long. We tracked them back to the nest and put WD-40 in the nest/emerging crack which was normally in the brick work. With the big ones when we found those in our yard... Dad kinda poured petrol down the nest and set it alight...Not entirely sure it was legal but in no way did we want those things any where near us. Mum just about carried all 30+ Kilos of the dog inside when we pointed out what we where doing with a jerry can of mower fuel...eek
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Aug 25, '11 6:54am PST 
We had them bad at the beginning of summer. Nothing worked really well, until I started being extra careful about wiping the counters down (we have some crumb scatterers in our house) and then afterwards I would squirt down the countertops with white vinegar.

Safe and effective!
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Thu Aug 25, '11 11:33am PST 
I find vinegar and ammonia cleaners all work well but they don't actually KILL the ants.. Which means they still come back later. What I got was a Raid Ant Killer(the bait traps didn't do a thing) in a little red bottle - it's this liquid stuff you squeeze along areas you find the ants.

It attracts them, they eat it and carry it back to the nest and it kills off the nest and Queen. I strategically placed it all over my house and just kept a close eye on my dog. He didn't even notice it and he's a Beagle, lol. The only issue I have with the stuff is after a few hours it sets into this glue-type substance instead of liquid, so you have to scrub it off with soapy water. But I don't really have an ant problem anymore - I occasionally find one in my bathroom but they get in through the window there. They're now gone from my kitchen, bedroom(where they had originally raided) and I don't see them around. I can now leave juice in glasses and whatnot on my tables and counters without getting an infestation.

I also, before getting the Raid stuff, used Comet powder cleaner sprinkled in the areas they were showing it. It was only a temporary fix, but it did work temporarily anyway.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2