GO!

Ants......

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Dahlia

Gone, But Not- Forgotten.

Barked: Thu Nov 18, '10 7:30am PST 
I consider the LACK of ants to make a clean home. Every winter I do battle against their invasions.

I've always put Skin So Soft on my counters to battle them, but it really doesn't kill them, just makes the little suckers slip & slide.

What do you all use in the kitchen that isn't toxic and helps keep them at bay?
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Thu Nov 18, '10 7:52am PST 
We usually get ants in the summertime - they come in looking for water. I use ant baits on the countertops - the little plastic thingies (I don't put them on the floor though - the dogs would be too tempted), and spray outside around windows and doors.

We had a problem with fire ants (nasty little buggers!) coming inside some years back; for that, we called the exterminators.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Thu Nov 18, '10 8:23am PST 
I use DE. Diatomaceous earth. You sprinkle a line of it near entry ways & around baseboards. When ants cross it they dehydrate & die. It is all natural & safe if ingested by people or dogs. Make sure to get food grade DE. It also works on fleas! Don't go too nuts or you'll have a fine layer of dust on everything.
[notify]

Opie CGC

Luv-A-Pittie

Barked: Thu Nov 18, '10 10:26am PST 
We use windex, but anything with ammonia will work. Just spray the countertops and where ever you thing they are getting in. I've also had good luck with planting mint in potted plants and around the outdoor rabbit hutch so I've been meaning to try mint extract in the house but I haven't tried that one yet.
[notify]
Dahlia

Gone, But Not- Forgotten.

Barked: Thu Nov 18, '10 10:39am PST 
thinking I've heard about using mint,and the smell would be an added bonus.

A friend has also recommended bay leaves stategically placed.

Squ'mey, where do you find DE?

ETA: *head/desk* I should give thanks to Quincy for giving me the idea to post about this!

Edited by author Thu Nov 18, '10 10:41am PST

[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Thu Nov 18, '10 11:44am PST 
Dahlia - I think that if you're using it on the ground and not as a supplemental part of a diet meant to be eaten, you can find DE at gardening stores.

But, I think to be safe it's probably best to use food-grade DE cause you never know what the dogs choose to eat....

I saw food-grade DE at my local boutique pet supply shop in little canisters, near where the eyedrops and flea stuff were.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Thu Nov 18, '10 2:49pm PST 
Thanks Lilith. I got a huge bucket of DE at a smaller pet supply store. Mine is food grade. I have also picked it up at gardening stores, where it didn't say "food grade" but I used it in my veggie garden & no dogs or people got sick. It is (I think) the fossilized exoskeletons of minute microorganisms from the oceans.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Nov 18, '10 5:49pm PST 
My mom told me to use a cucumber peeling... her mom told her that, so, that's what I do and I have no ants anymore.
We had some start to invade the boarding kennel...tried ant cups, no change so I put cucumber peels all along where they were traveling and they stopped coming in completely!!!
Weird, but, for some reason, it works!!!
[notify]
Aster

Let's go for a- swim

Barked: Thu Nov 18, '10 7:54pm PST 
Earlier this summer we had an ant problem. I tried several of the ant baits. They kept coming back. Finally I tried Grants and sprinkled insecticide around the foundation. That was the last of them. It also quit raining then and perhaps cut off their supply of water. With a young Lab in the house, I was careful to put the ant bait under furniture and other places she couldn't get to.

I would be careful with the DA. It is a strong dehydrating agent. It could dry a dog's skin.
[notify]
Holly Belle

I dream of- Doolin Kingsley

Barked: Fri Nov 19, '10 12:25am PST 
409 and/or Fantastick spray cleaners work great on ants, spiders etc. After you spray, just wipe away, the same as if you're cleaning your counter tops, walls, corner of the floor, or anywhere else you'd spray a cleaner. Much better than using a bug spray in any of those areas with pets, kids, food, anyone trying to breathe! wave
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2