GO!

How do you keep your washing machine clean?

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

Mikey

You know you- want to pet me

Barked: Mon Nov 8, '10 12:57pm PST 
So, I've laid down a lot of sheets where Mikey sleeps. His bed, my bed, his old couch, etc.
When it's time to launder these, it's a mess. Even when I shake the heck out of these sheets, 1/2 of the fur doesn't come off, so after it goes through the wash, my washer is full of his fur. I don't want to screw up the washer from his fur.
I end up avoiding washing these and just throw the sheets away and buy new cheap ones.
I can't keep doing that.

How do you all handle washing bedding and not making a mess of your washer.
[notify]
Zooey, CGC

Everybody loves- Zooey

Barked: Mon Nov 8, '10 1:41pm PST 
Is it a top loading or a front loading machine? I've never had problems with the top loading machine at my current house, but I'm in the process of moving into a house with a front loading machine and the first thing I've noticed is that the washer and dryer are FILLED with cat hair from the previous tenant! I'm thinking it has something to do with the way the machine drains? Of course now I'm thinking that it's a wonder that the machine at the old house never clogged up! I'm hoping you get some good responses, as it will drive me up the wall if everything's always covered in hair.....
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Mon Nov 8, '10 4:54pm PST 
I run my washer on the rinse cycle after washing the rugs/doggy blankets
[notify]

Mikey

You know you- want to pet me

Barked: Mon Nov 8, '10 5:11pm PST 
I'm a bit of a water freak. I hate wasting water, so having the washing machine run without anything in it isn't an option. Although I like the idea.
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Mon Nov 8, '10 5:33pm PST 
I get a roll of quarters and use the laundromat.

For the little bit of hair that comes off my clothes I use a used dryer sheet once the washer had dried out a bit.
[notify]
Allee, Bama,- and Brodie- Bear!

Roll Tide- Roll!!! ;)

Barked: Mon Nov 8, '10 7:26pm PST 
I use vinegar in the wash with throws and doggie sheets, it helps keep it clean.

Also, I know you hate doing it, but running a rinse with hot water and vinegar or bleach a couple times a month helps a lot.
They also sell the cleaning stuff you use to put in the washer.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Tue Nov 9, '10 8:13am PST 
We wash pet stuff with 4 cheap tennis balls. The tennis balls beat the beds and sheets so they don't get all mushed and they also collect a ton of fur that's pretty easy to get off of them afterwards.
[notify]
Dahlia

Gone, But Not- Forgotten.

Barked: Tue Nov 9, '10 10:39am PST 
Vinegar or bleach is good to run through most top loading washers once a month, as the majority of them have a plastic water tub. It prevents bacteria & soap scum from building up on the walls, causing a funky smell.
[notify]
Chloe,- KPA-CTP

Clearance Puppy - The best of them- all.

Barked: Tue Nov 9, '10 12:53pm PST 
The tennis ball thing is really cool, I actually just asked this question a few hours ago on another forum.

Maybe try vacuuming ita bit first? after shaking it out?
[notify]