GO!

Blinds

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Chloe

OG- Original- Goberian

Barked: Mon Nov 8, '10 12:20pm PST 
Okay maybe I'm the only one with this problem but.... my dogs are constantly ruining our window blinds. We don't crate them anymore bcuz they are generally well behaved in the house. But they like to look out the windows during the day and if we forget to put the blinds up for them they stick their big heads through them and break them. Or I think if they see a squirrel outside or something they go bizzerk. We used to just always replace them at our old house. But since we moved into this new house in August they have ruined 4 blinds already. So I'm done with replacing blinds lol!

Does this happen to anyone else? Do you just have curtains? Any recommendations for types of shades? I don't like the idea of people being able to look into my house so I want something to cover the windows but don't want to spend alot of money just to have them ruined. I'm thinking curtains with no blinds are the way to go. Dang dogs. thinkingred faceshrug
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Mon Nov 8, '10 12:28pm PST 
You could try Roman shades or the kinda bambooy style Roman shades. That way either you pull them up or they can't see anything. We did have a foster who annihilated our blinds. Our main problem now is Tanuk sits and stares and drools at the window. Then I get the "acid burn" type of drool stain all over the blinds, window sill, and wall under the window. I have to use one of those magic erasers constantly. We have faux wood blinds now and they're really durable.
[notify]
Dahlia

Gone, But Not- Forgotten.

Barked: Mon Nov 8, '10 4:38pm PST 
I leave my blinds up about ten inches for Dahlia to peek outside. I knew it would be a losing battle if I left them down. If someone wants to peek in, they will have to bend down, and will face the wrath of the furry alarm system.
[notify]

Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Mon Nov 8, '10 4:53pm PST 
same here
I replaced the blinds with the roman bamboo shades
and leave them up enough for the watch dogs to watch

but we live in the middle of 6 acers
[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Mon Nov 8, '10 7:28pm PST 
Yeah we have the faux wood kind, they are tough.
Brodie also leaves his goo on the window sill from looking out, but he never messes with our blinds he just looks through the little crack he can see through.

Could you raise them up some so the dogs can see out while you are gone?
[notify]
Harlow

st. francis of- asses

Barked: Mon Nov 8, '10 7:31pm PST 
First thing every morning, blinds are raised enough for the cats and dogs to see out of, otherwise we would have broken blinds also. Harlow and her cat sit on the window seat in the kitchen and watch the squirrels. I would make an effort to remember to raise the blinds a bit or just get curtains.
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Mon Nov 8, '10 7:34pm PST 
I did boundary training with Daisy. Just like teaching her to stay out of the kitchen.

Although her tail wagging sometimes hits the blinds she does not go and stick her nose through the curtain or blinds if they are down/closed.

If they are open, she is more than welcome to go look out the door (its a sliding glass door).
[notify]
Chloe

OG- Original- Goberian

Barked: Tue Nov 9, '10 7:52am PST 
I do always try to remember to raise them up enough for them to see out, but if I forget even for one day they are destroyed. Our old house was broken into and robbed in plain daylight a few years ago (before we had dogs though) so I guess I'm just paranoid that someone will walk by "scoping out" our house during the day if all the windows are open. We have a big screen tv and surround sound system all in plain view through the picture window.

But Chloe likes to lay on the back of the couch like a cat and look out the picture window all day, I've even caught her sitting behind the couch balancing on the window sill so heaven forbid I block her view, BOL! But they have destroyed the blinds in our bedroom too, now that we live out in a more country like setting I think they see more squirrels and stray cats during the day and run around the house like lunatics looking out all the windows.

Curtains are probably the way to go because I can cover all windows and they can still peek their heads out whenever they want. Sooooo expensive though, ugh! confused
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Tue Nov 9, '10 8:11am PST 
Well in that case Chloe, leave the windows open so potential burglars know you have dogs! I always leave our blinds peeped up when the hubby is out of town or we're gone. I have a feeling anyone who saw Tanuk's head peeping at them would high-tail it. It was great when we had the Saint too because Tanuk would just give a silent death stare out the window and then you'd hear this huge crazy bark coming form somewhere else in the house! laugh out loud
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jan 7, '14 1:32am PST 
Hello! I delt with the same problem a few months ago, I went from venetian blinds to curtains, but my two little dogs would always mess them up, such a problem! But I came across these blinds that are installed between the glass and the window frame, which are really helpful and don't come in the way. For you to get a better idea of what I'm talking about, here is a description of this type of blind: The blinds fit directly onto the double glazed window without drilling or screwing into the widow frame. This unique blind system enables the blinds to move with the windows or doors when opening and closing, the blind fits into a frame which is attached to the window with brackets which slide between the glass and the rubber glazing bead. The Perfect fit frame fits flush up against the window so there are no gaps down the sides of the blind. This gives greater privacy and also can save on heating bills by retaining heat in winter. Because the blinds sit in the gap between the glass and the window frame as well as being extremely neat they don’t take up any space up on your window sill or have any unsightly cords or controls making it the ideal child safety product. I hope that you will find this product as efficient as I did!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2