GO!

muddy dog path in yard

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

Trevor CGC

always happy

Barked: Fri Nov 5, '10 7:25am PST 
Is there an economic solution for a muddy dog path along the fence line?
We have a dog door. The dogs track all the mud in house on rainy days.eek
I checked artificial pet grass. Material plus installation cost $9-$10 per sq ft. shock
Trevor hates pea gravel. He refuses walking on it. So this option is out.
I was told mulch would get all over the yard. Is this true?
Installing paver is expensive too. The guy gave me a quote of $4000 for 90 ft x 3 ft !
Anything else? Does straw work?

Edited by author Fri Nov 5, '10 7:32am PST

[notify]
Harlow

st. francis of- asses

Barked: Fri Nov 5, '10 7:28am PST 
If your dog refuses to walk on gravel, that may be an option laugh out loud But they will just create a path somewhere else. We use pine straw. We had some drainage issues in our yard which kept it wet for a while after rain. Spreading the pine straw not only helped soak it up but kept the dogs from getting their feet muddy.
[notify]
Jet Hawk

Flying high- since 2008.

Barked: Fri Nov 5, '10 7:43am PST 
Hi Trevor! wave

I just thought I would throw this idea out to you, though I'm not sure if it's an option for you or not...

What about those stepping stones you can get to make walking paths through gardens and the like? I tried to look up pricing, but I think it just depends on where you live and what's available there. big grin
[notify]

Nicky

World's Cutest- Leprechaun

Barked: Fri Nov 5, '10 10:10am PST 
We have mulch in our yard and it only gets spread all over if the dogs decide to dig in it. The mulched areas are outlined with medium sized river rock which also helps keep it contained. Nicky has a tendency to snack on it though so I have to keep an eye on him. I haven't seen him do it in a while though so hopefully he grew out of that!

Edited by author Fri Nov 5, '10 10:12am PST

[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Fri Nov 5, '10 11:31am PST 
If you use mulch, remember to stay away from cocoa mulch or any of those hulls as they're poisonous to dogs. (most folks here probably know that, but my neighbor with dogs didn't)

When I had a muddy spot right near the steps where Lu crosses to get to her yard, I bought a cheap indoor/outdoor mat and laid it down there. It finally got ragged enough for me to throw it out, and it really compacted the dirt/grass down enough that the spot doesn't get muddy like it used to and I haven't needed to put a mat back there. Probably doesn't help your large area along a long fence, but for small places it might help.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Fri Nov 5, '10 1:08pm PST 
We use pine straw in the back yard and mulch in the front yard. I prefer the mulch. Both areas see heavy dog play, but the pine straw tends to get flung everywhere while the mulch stays nicely in place.
[notify]
Brigit

Queen of the- Universe

Barked: Wed Nov 10, '10 5:23pm PST 
We use cedar mulch. Smells good, repels bugs, mostly stays in place and for some reason the dogs don't really like digging in it - the smell I'm guessing.
[notify]
The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Wed Nov 10, '10 7:49pm PST 
We used cedar mulch too.
[notify]
Trevor CGC

always happy

Barked: Thu Nov 11, '10 5:45am PST 
Thanks every one. We are going to try the cedar mulch ! blue dog
[notify]
Trevor CGC

always happy

Barked: Thu Nov 11, '10 11:37am PST 
I just did an online search and found two kinds of cedar mulch. Could any one tell me which one is better? thanks a lot.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xgf/R-202310253/h_d2/Prod uctDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

http://www.hom edepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xgf/R-100388948/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId= -1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
[notify]