GO!

urine in mattress

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Theodore aka- Teddy - **CGC**

Big Head. Big- Heart.

Barked: Thu Nov 4, '10 11:33am PST 
Teddy had an accident on my bed the last week due to anxiety/fear caused by fire alarms going off. It was there all day without me knowing it (I was at work) so when I got home, it was already pretty soaked in. I let it dry and then tried using baking soda. The discoloration came out, but the mattress still smells. What are the best (and easiest) ways to get out the urine scent?
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Thu Nov 4, '10 2:07pm PST 
Tough break... Not to say this is scientifically sound, but if it were me, I would probably dump Nature's Miracle all over the area and let it soak in too, then re-clean the whole thing. And I'd put getting a new mattress in the back of my mind... I don't think there's really too much else you can do, since liquid is going to soak way down in.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Thu Nov 4, '10 2:29pm PST 
I have found vinegar to be a great odor neutralizersmile Perhaps half vinegar/half water in a spray bottle all over the mattressshrug
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Nov 4, '10 2:33pm PST 
I'm with the soaking it in Nature's Miracle... I nursed a Futon mattress thru THREE new puppies before I finally had to trash it... that stuff works really well, but you need to really soak it in... figure it needs to go as far as the urine did, plus get a clean margin all around.
[notify]

Big Head. Big- Heart.

Barked: Thu Nov 4, '10 3:17pm PST 
Thanks! We actually made it through Teddy's entire puppyhood without having an accident on the bed, but apparently two straight hours of fire alarm testing in my apartment complex finally did the trick!

I will go get some Nature's Miracle and see if it has any effect!
[notify]
Mini

A Heartbeat at- Your Feet ♥

Barked: Thu Nov 4, '10 3:27pm PST 
Good luck with the Nature's Miracle way to go
Can you flip the mattress?
[notify]

Big Head. Big- Heart.

Barked: Thu Nov 4, '10 4:05pm PST 
I can't flip the mattress, because it is a special "no flip" mattress. It is supposed to be rotated, not flipped. I rotated it since the majority of the pee was near the head of the bed--it now resides more at the foot, but I really want to get rid of any an all pee odor!! yuck!
[notify]

Big Head. Big- Heart.

Barked: Thu Nov 4, '10 4:05pm PST 
**sprays Nature's Miracle to remove offensive double post**

Edited by author Thu Nov 4, '10 4:06pm PST

[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Nov 4, '10 5:59pm PST 
And... see, it worked... double post is gone!!!
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Thu Nov 4, '10 7:30pm PST 
Sarah has had some issues with incontinence, and she sleeps on my bed. She's had a few accidents on the bed. I have literally DUMPED Nature's Miracle all over the spot. The mattress is still stained, but the stink is gone. After a while, I steam cleaned the mattress, and eventually I plan on getting a rug shampooer and using the upholstery attachment to see how much I can get out. Good luck!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3