GO!

Cleaning with Vinegar

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Riley CGC- DSA

Designer Mutt!

Barked: Sun Oct 31, '10 7:54pm PST 
Anyone on here willing to explain how to clean with vinegar? I'm looking for a safe alternative to kill bacteria and germs without causing harm to the girls... I've seen this option pop up several times, but was wondering how I would go about doing it? Do I need to dilute it or anything? Rinse the area after using it? Any advice would be helpful. smile
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Sun Oct 31, '10 8:30pm PST 
I just dilute in a spray bottle with water... usually 1/3 vinegar and 2/3 water. No need to wipe down after or anything...when it dries the vinegary smell goes away.
[notify]
Riley CGC- DSA

Designer Mutt!

Barked: Sun Oct 31, '10 8:43pm PST 
Thanks Kolbe! wave
[notify]

Sargent &- Dutchess CGC

Barked: Sun Oct 31, '10 8:48pm PST 
Alot of times when I need to clean the inside of the washing machine I run a load of water and vinegar to help get rid of the funky washer smell. It also helpful to get rid of cat urine.
[notify]
Shayne CGC,- RL2

Shayne- Disc Doggin in- the 'Burgh!

Barked: Sun Oct 31, '10 9:07pm PST 
Diluting vinegar reduces the disinfecting property from what i have read. To use it as a disinfectant, not just a cleaner, you should use it full strength (a 5% solution that is sold in stores).

I would also say, that vinegar has been shown to be effective in disinfecting some types of bacteria... but it is not effective for all... so i'd try to keep that in mind when considering what type of bacteria you are trying to clean up based on what has touched the surface. (if i remember one study indicated it was good with killing off salmonella but was pretty worthless against e coli) ...just things to keep in mind.
[notify]
~Emma~ RL1

Mixed breed,- Pure heart

Barked: Mon Nov 1, '10 11:36am PST 
I love using vinegar, I use diluted and straight. So many ways to use it.laugh out loud

Amazing vinegar! 19 ways to help pets, house, and you
[notify]
Allee Oop!!!

I love my Mommy

Barked: Mon Nov 1, '10 1:42pm PST 
Cool
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Mon Nov 1, '10 4:21pm PST 
For hardwood and cork floors: 1/4 cup of white vinegar to one gallon of hot water.

I use straight vinegar to clean the dog's eating area.
[notify]
Angel, CGC

Throw the- ball!!!

Barked: Wed Nov 3, '10 4:14am PST 
I believe I read somewhere that is you really want antimicrobial, add the vinegar to bleach. Bleach is basic but if you dilute it (as we all do) to about 10 % and add vinegar, it becomes slightly acidic increasing the hypochlorite ion in the solution and increasing it's power as an antimicrobial.
[notify]
Freddie

ARRROOOOOOOO!

Barked: Tue Nov 9, '10 4:47pm PST 
White Vinegar from the grocery store is my favorite cleaning product. So many uses especially with a dog. My two favorite uses though:

Once Fred got into something, ate it, threw up a dark green goo on my office carpet. Sat there for at least a week as I didn't enter the office and didn't know. When I found it, the stain was old and set in. I poured vinegar over the spot and let it soak in. Covered it with some clean rags and let it sit for 24 hours. Then I took the rags and gently wiped-the green color came out of the white carpet like magic. Another 24 hours for all of the vinegar to evaporate that was soaked into the carpet and no smell remained-vinegar or otherwise.

I also use vinegar set out in little bowls to get rid of funky odors in the house-dog odor, kitchen cooking odors, you name it.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2