GO!

painting

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Twister

woof softly and- carry a big- stick

Barked: Sat Oct 30, '10 1:18pm PST 
I have FINALLY gotten my hardwood floor down in my room. It looks great(for having done it myself!red face), but the problem is the baseboards are a bit lower so there is a strip of green (the walls were bright green when we moved in) all along the wall where the boards used to sit.

Instead of trying to match the color with the current color of my wall, I decided to paint my entire room before I move all my furniture back in.

My question:
Whats the best type of paint to use? What colors do you recommend? All three dogs spend most of their indoors time in my room and my rabbits spend some time in there also, so the paint needs to be animal safe and washable.
[notify]
Makoto

Professor- Woofington

Barked: Sat Oct 30, '10 3:17pm PST 
I would recommend a high quality paint like Benjamin Moore. Their new Aura paint is supposed to be washable in any sheen, exceeds environmental standards (less chemicals around your pets), stain and mildew resistant, and easy to touch up if necessary. It's also supposed to be self-priming, though I'm not sure if that's over existing paint or new drywall. They have many other lines of paint as well. (I don't work for BM, I just used to work for an architect and love paint.)

If BM is too pricey, I think Behr is supposed to be the best for the money. Make sure you clean the walls well before painting and use a good primer. The prep work is generally more important than the paint itself. Even the best paint in the world will fail if applied over dust, dirt, or bad primer.

As for colors...use whatever you like. I guess a light color might show more dirt, but if you use a good paint, you should be able to wash the wall. A semi-gloss is better for a high traffic area, but tricky if your walls aren't smooth because the light reflecting will emphasize the defects.
[notify]
Twister

Barked: Sat Oct 30, '10 3:54pm PST 
Thanks for the suggestions, Makoto!

I just spent a few hours scrubbing the walls in preparation to paint, so there shouldn't be any dust or dirt. The walls are textured, so thats going to be a hassle. I prefer smooth walls.

I don't think I've heard of Benjamin Moore, but I'm sure the paint supply store carries it. I have heard of the Behr brand. I'll check out both of them. I think the only trouble I'm having now is choosing a color! I have two days to decide (well only a day now, this ones practically over!).blue dog
[notify]

Mikey

You know you- want to pet me

Barked: Sat Oct 30, '10 10:19pm PST 
Benjamin Moore is pretty expensive for retail. And Aura is wicked expensive. And frankly I think it's way over rated. And for being zero or low VOC, the ammonia smell is wicked.

If the room is dark, pick a light color. If the room gets lots of southwest exposure, you can go darker.
Take a few color chips of colors you like and put them up on your walls and see how you like it. It's hard with a 1"x1" chip, but it's better than painting and hating it.
A small amount of red in a color will go miles. So if you pick a pink, pick a really, really light one.
Yellows can be kind of loud once it gets on four walls. Something that looks nice and soft on a color chip can be canary yellow on your walls.

If you don't go with Benjamin Moore, then Behr is ok and convenient. So is Ace Hardware's Dutch Boy.
Do you have a Pittsburgh Paints near by? That's a great paint, but again expensive.

Most brand name paints like Ben Moore and Pittsburgh have low-zero VOC paints, so you shouldn't have to worry about lingering smells.

Have fun painting. And good luck with your color choice.
[notify]
Bama AKA- "Buddybear'

'Just as cuddly- as i look!'

Barked: Sat Oct 30, '10 10:44pm PST 
I am a professional house painter and I just want to say NO to Behr. It is supposed to be good, but I have never liked it. Once you have used many better paints like myself you would never use Behr!!! (i don't mean you, just people in general, BOL) Everytime we have painted with it due to homeowner buying their own paint we have had a bad experience. It drys too slow, runs, and doesn't cover as good as the better paints. I HATE Behr commercials!

I also highly recommend Benjamin Moore though it is VERY pricey.

We frequently use Sherwin Williams or Porter (pittsburg) paints. From Porter I prefer Hi Hide Eggshell paint. It just has a bit of a shine but not too much. I have it in my whole condo. But, if you have a lot of imperfections on your walls you might want to go with a flat for the finish...I [ersonally don't like the look of flat and if you want washable I'd say go for eggshell or satin. Semigloss is good for trim paint.

At Sherwin William's we tend to use Classic 99 for walls and Super Paint for trim. Duration is also good for walls.

If you don't want to go to a paint store and want to go to Lowes, Valspar is a pretty good paint. We just finished a job and used valspar on the walls and trim. It worked really well to me.

As for priming. I will be honest we don't prime walls if it has already had a good coat of paint on it and even on new sheetrock we just put two coats of paint on the walls. My dad has been a painter for well over 30 years. We prime raw wood, trim, walls that will get wallpaper, etc but usually not just regular sheetrocked walls.

I agree prep work is a must. Fix any holes on the wall with a spackling, allow to dry and sand. You may need to caulk any cracks above baseboard on on the edges of door and window trim..

Here is a pic of my livingroom. Paint is hi hide eggshell from Porter (Pittsburg Paint) the color is dusty amber.
The trim is also from the same paint store and it is high gloss advantage 900 white.

livingroom

Edited by author Sat Oct 30, '10 10:54pm PST

[notify]
Twister

Barked: Sat Oct 30, '10 11:31pm PST 
Thanks for the tips! wave

Bama- your living room is very close to the color of my living room. I just don't know the type of paint used or the name of the color, it was that color when we moved in.

There is a Sherwin-Williams and a Pittsburgh Paints here in town. I think Monday I'll do comparison price shopping and see what will work best in my room. I have all the prep work done, it just needs paint!big grin
Ah. And I have to pick a color!laugh out loud

Edited by author Sat Oct 30, '10 11:34pm PST

[notify]
Bama AKA- "Buddybear'

'Just as cuddly- as i look!'

Barked: Sun Oct 31, '10 12:38am PST 
Yay! Sounds good!!!

We love that color. I have the next lighter one on the same chart for my guest bath and stairway.
And, for our animals room, office, and laundry I have a green color from Benj Moore's chart called Brookside Moss! I did get the paint matched though and used the Hi Hide Eggshell.
We also have red in the kitchen and other browns/golds in other rooms.

When I moved in all of our rooms were super light..I hated it so I darkened them all up and added color!

Let me know if you need anything else.

Edited by author Sun Oct 31, '10 12:39am PST

[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Sun Oct 31, '10 9:20am PST 
^^^^
Nice living room! I would hire ya'll to paint my house, if I had one.
[notify]
Mikey

You know you- want to pet me

Barked: Sun Oct 31, '10 9:26am PST 
If you have time, I'd highly suggest either getting small jars of colors (they sell them at most paint stores) to do a test patch.
One of those tiny jars can do a 2'x2', two coat test patch.
The little jars cost a couple bucks. Some Ben Moore stores will rent quarts of paint for you to test color.

I can't tell you how many times a client has ok'd a color from just a chip and I've had to repaint because the color wasn't what he/she thought it was going to be.

Pittsburg is probably your best bet for paint, price wise and coverage wise. I think it's the best on the Market.
It can be pricey too for retail. Although any major brand like that or Ben Moore will be pricey for retail.
If you've got a Devoe dealer near by, that's an awesome paint also.

But, if you were to get a paint at a hardware store, I think you'll be fine for painting one room.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Mon Nov 1, '10 2:43pm PST 
I have a can of paint in my basement because once I started painting I saw pink. laugh out loud Slammed the lid on, put it in the basement and went back to the store. What kind of light you have in a room can really affect the colour I found out. shock
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3