GO!

Not allowed in the car anymore?

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Caddy

Barked: Fri Oct 22, '10 7:40pm PST 
Recently, this has been my stepfathers response when I ask to take Caddy places.
He says that she is 'too big' and 'gets hair everywhere.'
Yes, Caddy is a large dog, though is completely well behaved in the car. She lies down on the seat, and falls right asleep for any car ride. The both of us can sit in the back seat together, so I don`t understany why just her 'being big' would be an issue if she is well behaved.

And yes, Caddy is a furry dog, but I brush her for 10mins, every day, so she rarely sheds. When we take her places, I always make sure she has a blanket to lie down on since the seats are leather.

My stepfather really isen`t a dog fan at all, and when we adopted Caddy, I made clear that I wanted to take her everywhere possible, and which he agreed.
Only now, hes gone back on his word. I even offer to pay and vaccume out the FEW hairs the might get on the floorboard.

The only other vehicle we have is my mothers truck, which she dosen`t mind Caddy being in at all, but when we go places Caddy would be able to come, its usually in town. And to save gas money, we always take the car.

I`m just worried about Caddy losing some socalization skills with other dogs. We live in the country, and when my stepfather allowed Caddy in the car, we would go to the dog park weakly. But now, dog park trips are a no-go since I can`t use the car.

Granted i`ll be fixing my own car, but that won`t be for another three months.

Any suggestions?
[notify]
Harlow

st. francis of- asses

Barked: Sat Oct 23, '10 7:21am PST 
Get a car seat cover for dogs! We have them for the back of our SUV. That way the hair doesn't get stuck in the fabric of the seats and no dirty paw prints on the seats either. We got ours at petsmart, they also sell the ones that fit over the regular back seat of a car.
[notify]
Bello

They Always Fall- for the Baby- Blues

Barked: Sat Oct 23, '10 7:43am PST 
I have a hammock style dog seat cover. So Bello can't fall on the floor while driving, and the hair all stays on it, so no hair on floor boards. If it was in an SUV it could also keep the dogs from coming to the front, but since I'm in my Kia Rio and it's tiny, it sags.
[notify]

Max

Somewhere there- is something I- can eat..

Barked: Sat Oct 23, '10 4:04pm PST 
I use a sheet in my truck, it completely covers the entire back seat and the pups stay back there. Perhaps if you talk to your stepdad about it (or talk to your mom)? Although it sounds like he's not going to be willing to change if you've even offered to vacuum it out and he's not liking it. No way you can borrow your mom's truck from time to time? I didn't check Caddy's age, but if she's already that large I don't think 3 months will make a huge difference. Make sure you follow through on your walks, exposing her to as much as you're able to. I'm not a huge fan of dog parks for socialization, anyways. Too many ill-mannered pups there. Just do the best you can, no one can ask for more than that.
[notify]
♥- DEOGIE- ♥

Born a dog but- turned into a- gentleman.

Barked: Sat Oct 23, '10 6:19pm PST 
Hubby was talking about trading in his truck for a Hummer this fall and I was quite excited until, I can hardly believe this, until he said Deogie wouldn't be allowed to ride in it. shock What the heck, eh???
Hubby is NO longer getting a Hummer.dancing
[notify]
Pippin-CGC-R- IP Sweet Boy

Gone Far Too- Soon

Barked: Sat Oct 23, '10 6:35pm PST 
My hubby got so sick of us trashing the family vehicle, which is a Dodge Durango, that he went out & bought me an old mini van as our "hound hauler"!
It's not nearly as cool but it gets me, the kids & the dogs around & that's what I care about!
Hopefully you will have your own car soon!
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Sat Oct 23, '10 6:41pm PST 
I have an old towel in the back of my car to keep it as hair and mud free as possible, it's a cheap alternative to actually buying special sheets etc. But, as Bello said, the hammocks can be pretty good to and even the waterproof, wipe down type sheets.
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Sat Oct 23, '10 6:50pm PST 
BOL I wholeheartedly agree with Deogie!!!!! It would be the same in this house!!!

That being said, tell him you'll put a shirt on Caddy when she's in the car. wink

Edited by author Sat Oct 23, '10 6:51pm PST

[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Oct 23, '10 7:08pm PST 
I loved having the dogs near me but they ride in a crate now in my mini van. When Max was young he had major car sickness and the crate contained the mess, now Artie and Max share a large crate that just fits into the back of the van. No dog hair. No blown anal sacs due to sudden stops. No escaping dogs if I leave windows open or forget to close the door. No mud on the seats.
[notify]
Caddy

Barked: Sat Oct 23, '10 9:43pm PST 
I`ve heard alot about the hammock-type blankets for the back seats, and he just might be swayed if I get one. We already put down a twin sized blanket previously, so I`d probably have to take more of an extreme measure. And while I do brush cad every day, I`m thinking of getting the furminator. The petsmart here sells them for about $40.

And Caddy dosen`t go on 'walks' We have alot of acerage, and I take laps with her around the horse pasture, but there isen`t anywhere for us to actually walk. Except for in feilds. Not to mention loads of fetch since that seems to be her new 'thing.' And the dog park in town that caddy goes to isen`t bad at all. Given, we go on wednesdays, which is when all the petsmart trainers and thier students bring thier pooches to play, so everyone is supprisingly well mannered.

Thankfully, tomorrow there is going to be a 'bark in the park'. Sort of like a dog convention/get together. My mom is lending me the truck, so Caddy is sure to have loads of fun meeting new pups =]
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2