GO!

Swiffer and Febreeze

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

  
(Page 9 of 9: Viewing entries 81 to 82)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  
Mini

A Heartbeat at- Your Feet ♥
 
 
Barked: Wed Nov 3, '10 12:21pm PST 
Vivace way to go I was thinking about cutting a hole in my old swiffer bottle too. Wish they made them "refillable"... sneaky swiffer big laugh
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words
 
 
Barked: Mon Nov 8, '10 2:00pm PST 
Someone did post the MSDS. A few things about MSDS's. Companies are not required to disclose all the components of a product. There are some that are required by law to be disclosed on the MSDS, more in CA than most other states, but if the product is being sold in CA, they will be there.

The one hazardous ingredient listed is Ethanol. Since this is ethanol used in a cleaning product, it is probably denatured ethanol (because they would not pay the taxes to put drinkable ethanol in a cleaning product).

When ethanol is denatured, it CAN be denatured with poisonous substances, but not always.

Now having said that, under first aid procedures, it says that if it is swallowed, you should drink a glass of water. Also, under the toxicological, there are no long term health effects or target organs reported. Additionally, it obviously passed the ecological portion of the test and those tests are very sensitive.

I think a peek at the European version would be more revealing, but knowing what I do about MSDS's, this simply does not look like something that is harmful when used properly.

It's not on SARA, it's not on prop 65, it's approved for import into Canada, it has an HMIS rating of 1-1-1. It's really not that dangerous a product.

And as an aside, not to upset anyone, but the toxicological testing is often DONE on dogs and if they find anything in the dogs (like it is effecting livers), they usually have to reveal it. Additionally, they don't just have the dogs lick it, they are fed amounts much higher than they would ingest by licking a floor, usually along the lines of 0, 200, 250, and 300 mg/kg/day for 91 days. So for a 16 lb dog like Ash, the high end there would be close to 2.5 g per day, which is quite a bit more than a dog would ingest by licking the floor once a week.
[notify]
  (Page 9 of 9: Viewing entries 81 to 82)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9