GO!

taller bulldog?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Sun Aug 9, '09 9:31pm PST 
My husband wanted a bulldog very much.
He's the main reason we got Brodie. He loved how short and stocky they are.
The bulldog standard says the height can range between a several inches...but I think Brodie is even a smidge taller than that.
We got to see his parents. If u watch his little slide show u can see his dad on the last pic. He wasn't as stocky as a lot of bullies either.

Anway, hubby is always commenting on the very short bulldogs on the dog shows and will say 'i love brodie to death, but wish he was shorter like that'

Well, it doesn't bother me. I think he's beautiful but was wondering what anyone else thought about this and what causes it.
I read on another forum that neutering young can cause dogs to grow somewhat taller. Is this true?
Because Brodie was fixed quite early at around 4.5 months old bc he also needed cherry eye surgery.
I know he's 100percent eng bulldog. Like I said I saw the parents and have his papers/pedigree or whatever.

By searching on dogster and other sites, it just seems like the come in all shapes and sizes.
[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Sun Aug 9, '09 9:35pm PST 
check through his pics and videos and u can see what u think about his height/build and tell me whatcha think. page 2 of his photobook has some of him standing up and u can also see him standing/walking in his xmas and bday video.
smile

Edited by author Sun Aug 9, '09 9:37pm PST

[notify]
Aibou

Big Boy

Barked: Tue Aug 11, '09 2:17pm PST 
Well I think BB looks just great!

I believe the standard shoulder heights are from 12 to 16 inches, or maybe a bit more. (I would guess Aibou as around 14 inches as he is a little taller than most, but would need to check).

My understanding is the smaller heights are currently more prized in the ring. However, there is a move eg in the UK away from the classical bulldog look to a more healthy dog (eg less wrinkles) and I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't include taller dogs as, in comparison with other dogs, it does seem to me that too short legs can suffer in having to carry a very stocky bulldog body.
[notify]

Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Tue Aug 11, '09 6:37pm PST 
thanks...seems like when we measured him he was 16.5 or so. i will check again later.
just wonderin what u all thought!

Edited by author Tue Aug 11, '09 6:37pm PST

[notify]
Aibou

Big Boy

Barked: Thu Aug 13, '09 4:38am PST 
Well I measured Aibou - and he is more like 18 inches at the shoulder! (- he is a big bully all round). (We use the metric system here so it's easy to get confused with lbs and inches). The official US standard - here - http://www.thebca.org/standard.html - doesn't make reference to height, although it does to weight.

Aibou is also a pedigree with papers, and there is obviously a lot of variation in the breed. I think 18 inches is pretty close to the maximum height for bullies though. There was another bully at the local bulldog club who was maybe around the same height as Aibou, but slimmer at around 70 lbs.

So I don't think Brodie Bear is too tall at all! It's also much more important to me that a dog is fit and well, than that he is closer to the show standard but unfit and unwell.
[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Fri Aug 14, '09 1:27pm PST 
Ok, I had forgot about this.
I measured Brodie just now, and if I am doing it at the right place he is also about 18 inches!!!
He has the 4th UGA bulldog in his bloodline and that was back
before when UGA was taller and slimmer....whereas now they breed the UGA's to be short and have very exaggerated features.
Oh well they look great to me.

It's just weird bc that is about the height of olde eng bullies yet we look nothing like them in the face.

Edited by author Fri Aug 14, '09 1:30pm PST

[notify]
Sanford- Hawley

GO DAWGS!!!

Barked: Tue Aug 25, '09 10:26pm PST 
Do you think he could have been breed with a little of the OLDE English Bulldogge? They are breed with other breeds such as Boxers. There is a big difference between English and olde english. Do a google search and you can pick them out. We just found out that San is UGA VI's Cousin.
[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Thu Aug 27, '09 1:09am PST 
Brodie is kin to 4th uga!

He is supposed to be pure english and is a AKC registered.
I met the parents and all the other bulldogs there and she's a very good reputable breeder.
There's a pic of his daddy on the last pic of his slideshow. Brodie looks so much like him but a little taller. He had to wear an e collar for a good while bc of a cherry eye and then awhile after the surgery so his ears developed a lil funny too bc he was very young during all of this.

We are thinking the height was due to being neutered so young. The vet never told us this but that's what I am hearing on dogster.
But, due to needing another surgery he had to have the vet wanted to do both at the same time.

I do know a lot about olde eng. Have a friend that has two and breeds them. We didn't want one bc hubby wanted the short and stockiness of a bulldog and then brodie ended up taller after all.laugh out loud

Edited by author Thu Aug 27, '09 1:28am PST

[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Thu Aug 27, '09 1:28am PST 
Wish the vet would have told us it could make him taller,,,,,,,,though I don't know if I'd have done it any diff bc anesthesia is so risky with bullies.
[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Fri Aug 28, '09 11:07am PST 
check this out:

http://www.dogster.com/forums/Dog_Health/thread/635157/1
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3