GO!

Tear stains

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Elvis

Life's short...- Sleep hard

Barked: Sat Mar 8, '08 8:24pm PST 
Do you have tear stains? How do you get rid of them?
[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Sun Mar 9, '08 6:51am PST 
So far so good.
[notify]
Oliver

Sleep all day,- up all night

Barked: Sun Mar 9, '08 11:19am PST 
I posted about tear stains in the health section. I go some good feed back and others said that my diet and drinking tap water could be contributors to my tear staining. Since I started eating red meat they have gotten worse so I will be switching back to chicken to try to reduce the staining. I know that this is a common problem in bulldogs.

Hydrogen peroxide works fairly well to help get rid of them but it can take several applications before you get results, just be carful not to get it into the eye. Pet stores have products for staining as well, but I havn't found one that works good. Bulldog books also have suggestions on how to keep it at bay too.
Hope this helps.
[notify]

Ponsonby

Being this cute- is soooo- exhausting!

Barked: Tue Mar 11, '08 8:54am PST 
I haven't really found the definitive method for getting rid of my tear stains. My human uses baby wet wipes. They don't appear to irritate me but they also don't completely remove the stain.
Anyone else come up with anything?
[notify]
Tater

Do yew hab any- ham?

Barked: Tue Mar 11, '08 11:10am PST 
Hi there! My mom mixes cornstartch and preroxide into a paste and puts that on my stains until it drys. She never gets it into my eyes...and for some reason she always does it on Sunday.

It seems to help some. She also uses peroxide on a cotton ball on them daily.
[notify]
Oliver

Sleep all day,- up all night

Barked: Tue Mar 11, '08 2:24pm PST 
For the last week I have been using Hydrogen Peroxide and a tear stain remover i bought form the dog store, they look like oxy pads. The tear stains before i switched food were really dark, but just in a week I have reduced the stains by about 50%. I have been cleaning them 2 times a day. I should have them looking really godd in another week. The best thing to do is to clean them once a day everyday so the satins never start.
[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Thu Feb 5, '09 10:34am PST 
So peroxide is ok to use?
Brodie never had any stains before but is getting a small one under his eye that he had the cherry eye removed from. Vet says he thinks the are running due to the dry air,etc b/c they looked good to him when we were in there in Nov.
But, I REALLY don't want him to get those bad stains.
[notify]
Maizy

Belly rubs are- the best.

Barked: Mon Feb 9, '09 6:52pm PST 
I think tear stains are mostly food and water related. I have battled tear stains in the past and finally we are rid of them. I have 3 bulldogs and none of them have tear stains now. I feed Taste of the Wild pacific stream and give them filtered water.
[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Sat Feb 14, '09 3:54am PST 
Well, he is on a really good and grain free diet. I need to consider the water thing.
They are doing much better lately. The vet thinks it is related to the irritation from the dry air.
The stain under the one eye is looking lighter already.
[notify]
Sanford- Hawley

GO DAWGS!!!

Barked: Mon Feb 16, '09 5:04am PST 
Great Brodie, glad things are lookin up.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3