GO!

To Boxer or not

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Tue Nov 8, '11 3:06am PST 
Hello I am new to Dogster & this forum. There are 7 people in the house my husband, myself & our 5 children, ages 20, 18, 15, 13 & 10. We also have a black cocker spaniel & a cat.

Now that you have our info here is our dilema.

We are going to be getting another dog the kids would like something bigger. We have narrowed it down to a Boxer or a Lab. We are very familiar with Labs, my husband has owned one & my parents have had them for over 20 yrs. I have been doing alot of research about Boxers, by the way, reading all the posts here has helped alot! I have called our Vet office, our groomer and we have 3 friends that have boxers. They have all said we would absoultely love a boxer & that we could get them enough excercise. But the obedience/boarding place in town that I called said she would not recommend them. She did not say they are a bad dog just hard to train & they are so strong that they ended up dragging the owners on walks.

We have found a 1.5 yr old male (Boxer) and a 1 yr old male (Lab) that we will be going to look at in a couple days, they are in the same shelter. They came in as a strays. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!! Also we have never adopted, have always gotten from breeders as puppies and we will only get a male.
[notify]
Dobbs- (Spitfires- Magnum- Force)

Team Punishment

Barked: Mon Nov 14, '11 5:07pm PST 
Your boarder doesn't know what they are talking about. I have owned four Boxers and all were easy to train. They are very intelligent and love to please their people. I recommend Boxers to anyone who has the energy and good sized yard. They are very affectionate and expressive. You cannot go wrong with this breed. Just b from a reputable breeder who has great feedback on their litters.
[notify]
Dax

I see your- brains!

Barked: Thu Dec 15, '11 1:28pm PST 
Agreed, your border is obviously not familiar with boxers. I have had boxers all my life, and currently have four. Your post is a month old, but if you haven't decided or adopted yet, boxers are borderline genius dogs. They are quick to pick up on training, as long as they are properly motivated, which is good, because boxers can be easily motivated with treats. They do have a short attention span, at times, especially as pups. Therefore, during training sessions they will want to break away and run around a bit. Let them. They blow off some steam and come back to the treat training. Boxers are also great family dogs and one would love all the attention he/she would get in a house of seven. You will have to be careful with the cat, however. If you are getting a boxer, get it very young. If it is too old, it will not likely get along with the cat. They have a very strong prey drive. Good luck with your choice, and I hope you go with the boxer!
[notify]