GO!

Head tremors?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Bozeman

Barked: Sun Dec 26, '10 6:07pm PST 
Our year and a half old Boxer just recently started having head twitches as he's falling asleep. We've only noticed it recently and he always cuddles with us on the couch, so we suspect it's new. His eyes are open, but his head shakes back and forth for about 10 seconds, he doesn't seem to be uncomfortable and he's asleep within in moments after the shaking. We haven't noticed any other symptoms. Has anyone else experienced something similar? We're not sure how worried to be.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Nov 2, '11 7:51am PST 
To any and all having an issue with head tremors. My Bordeaux was having an issue with head tremors as he matured. They caused him no harm but scared me to death.After do a great deal of research I read it was caused possible by a combination of his head growing and low blood sugar.

SOLUTION: And it worked each time almost immediately, Give your dog a table spoon of honey!
It works, no drugs, no doctor, a simple home remedy that solved my problem. My pup has been fine for years but I wanted to spread the word to those in need!
[notify]

Barked: Wed Dec 14, '11 5:20pm PST 
Our boxer started getting head tremors around 2 years of age. The vets diagnosed him with "benign" tremors, focal point seizures, mild epilesy. Basically, what all that meant was they had no idea what was wrong.
Our boxer was much the same as yours, they did not seem to bother him much but scared the crap out of us. We did not medicate his seizures as they were not that severe we couldn't see forcing something synthetic down his throat when the vets didn't even know what they were going to be treating.
His seizures would come and go - some months he would have them a few times - some months he wouldn't have any at all. It went like that for 9 and a half years.
Cherokee lived a happy, healthy life with focal point seizures for almost all his life with the exception of the last three months. In his last days his seizures became grand mall, and they were horrible. We believe that this was related to a brain tumor, though and aren't sure whether it had any relationship to his focal point seizures. The medications that they tried to put him on towards the end to control the seizures only made things significantly worse.
The best advice I can give you, now that he is having them, try to do things as naturally as possible and do a lot of research on the internet. We were never able to pinpoint a "trigger" for any of his seizures, but in hindsight believe that a lot of it was due to over vaccination and poor food choices (depsite feeding him the "best" natural foods on the market. Don't just trust your vet.
Since losing Cherokee, I have found tons of research on the internet related to seizures and causes - most of them not organic in the dog, rather things in the environment.
I know that is probably not much help, but we at least wanted you to know that we've been there and despite the seizure disorder, Cherokee lived a very long (for a boxer) happy and healthy life. I hope that it is the same for you and your dog.
[notify]