GO!

Neuter question

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Rascal

I'm a rotten- rascal

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '07 3:44pm PST 
I am definitely getting Rascal neutered but I'm not sure at what age. I know Boxers aren't considered mature until around 3 yrs and I want to make sure his body is mature. I use a gentle leader on him so keeping control of him when outside is not a major concern. Other dogs have been around and cats and he has yet to attempt to get away and I know it's thanks to the gentle leader.

Rascal is around 8-9 months and 47.8 lbs. This is based on estimated age when my brother rescued him from a trip to the pound and the vet agrees the estimate is on target, based upon his size and physical development.

So, fo rthose who had their male boxer neutered, what is a good age range?
[notify]
Max

Somewhere there- is something I- can eat..

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '07 10:22pm PST 
I got neutered at six months, but my Mom thinks it was a little early for me because I am so submissive, but I could just be that easy going... The way our vet put it was that you should get it done when they start showing signs of "development." (ie. humping, agression, marking, etc) BTW- once we start marking things, we will always do it... Mom says whenever you are comfortable should be fine, as long as it is not too early- but at your age you should be fine whenever... way to go
[notify]
Maya

Excuse me, are- you gonna eat- that?

Barked: Tue Oct 30, '07 12:52pm PST 
The very best time to get your animal spayed/neutered is young! Six months is usually the rule of thumb for most, even younger for pup's now being adopted through different organizations, they fix the pup's before they can go to their home. The older a pup, the longer it takes to heal and it is more painful, thats what wev'e always been told anyway. Theyr'e isn't any need for the dog to become done growing because what their takin out , he's not gonna use anywaywave Good luck!!!
[notify]

Tucker

Have Ball, Will- Travel

Barked: Tue Oct 30, '07 6:14pm PST 
Because I do agility with my dogs, I was going to try and wait til 14 months, but ended up doing it at 9 months because the hormones were starting to override all else. With dogs I've had before, I've done it at 6 months and that worked fine. If you neuter at 6 months, your boy may get a little taller than he would have otherwise (we're talking 1/4" - 1/2"), but should have no other ill effects. Neutering Tucker at 9 months has seemed to be the perfect compromise; he didn't get leggy, but we stopped those obnoxious boy behaviors before they took hold. I would not neuter sooner than 6 months. So, I guess my official opinion is anywhere from 6-14 months.

Oh, and I'll put this as delicately as possible: the older (bigger) the dog is when neutered the bigger his, um, leftovers will be.

Edited by author Tue Oct 30, '07 6:17pm PST

[notify]
Ghost

The King

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '07 2:51pm PST 
Hey,

My mom and dad got me nuetered around 8 or 9 months..I was going to doggy day care on a regular basis, an they trainers and supervisors said I was mounting a lot and showing very dominat signs..So my parents decided to get my nuetered, and what do ya know...the mounting stopped..

I think when ever you feel ready..You do notice a change though we did..For the better to..Some people fear that there dog will loose there personatlity...I personally think it just calmed me down a bit...
[notify]
Sir Isaac- Newton- Waterdog

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '07 10:54am PST 
I am almost 3 and still intact. I have not had any behavioral problems aside from wanting to wrestle with mom and dad a lot morebig grin

I think I will have the procedure soon tooconfused
[notify]
Louie

Louis Baby!

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '07 11:28am PST 
Louie was netured 3 days after we got him he was 1.5 and it seemed like a really good age but by that time he was already 80 pounds and it costed us around 400 dollars! It just depends where you go! You should probally ask your vet about it!puppy]

Love,
Louie and Hannah
[notify]
Pepper

you say cookie?- now I listen.

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '07 5:05pm PST 
talk to your vet and be sure to ask animal control in your area if there are any laws requiring the age of neutering. in Los Angeles county we have to have it done by 4mo, however my vet felt that since pepper was so small it was best to wait and she was spayed a 6mo w/o problems. I ran the risk of getting ticketed, but I felt my vets advice took precedent.
[notify]
Beta

What...What?

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '07 3:46pm PST 
Beethoven came to us almost 5 weeks ago, but we found out he is 12 months old this month. I want to get him neutered because that is what we do whenever we get a dog or cat, but he is not trying to hump nor does he mark anything. Are the dogs that ya'all had neutered boxers? We want to get Beethoven fixed this month but don't want to hinder his development in any way.
[notify]
rocky

Rocky-What's- yours is Mine!

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '07 2:09pm PST 
Rocky was neutered at 4 mos of age and 30 pounds.
He did great and was feeling fine within 2 hours of being home from the vet. I took a week off work to keep an eye on him because we have two other boxers who are 5 yrs old and 70 lbs. He was supposed to wear a plastic cone protector around his head so he wouldnt like his wound, but as you know...to get a boxer puppy to do this is unrealistic, so I stayed home and just kept an eye on him and made sure the other dogs didnt get too rough.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2