GO!

Coughing and gagging

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Titan

Titan - Destroyer of- shoes and- cardboard

Barked: Fri Aug 3, '07 6:54am PST 
I'm a new to the Boxer world and am concerned about Titan. The last couple of days he has been coughing and gagging as though he's trying to get rid of a furball or something, but nothing except spittle ever comes out. He doesnt do it all the time, maybe 2 or 3 times a day for a couple of minutes and when he starts playing. Aside from that, his breathing is normal. His appetite hasnt changed, either. But I'm afraid to let him play as hard as he usually does because it sounds like he's going to suffocate. Is this normal for a boxer? Should I be concerned enough to take him to the vet? cry Any advice would be appreciated.
[notify]
Murphy

Nov 6/04 - Feb 20/08

Barked: Fri Aug 3, '07 7:44am PST 
I had kennel cough once, and it sounded like a real bad smoker's hack. Nothing every came up but some foamy spit. I took some children's benylin, it helped relieve the cough and I took some echinacea with my dinner.
It's so hard to tell when a vet visit is really necessary...use your best judgment as you know your dog better than anyone. I've been very lucky to rely on my breeder for telling me what to try first and when I should be going to the vet.
Good luck!
[notify]
Houston

Sticks, sticks,- did someone say- STICKS!!

Barked: Fri Aug 3, '07 1:07pm PST 
Ohhh Titan!! How long has thins been happening sweetie? I think a trip to the vet is the thing to do. Coughing and hacking can also be a bigger problem, not saying that it is, please don't panick, just maybe even give your vet a call.
[notify]

Ghost

The King

Barked: Fri Aug 3, '07 1:21pm PST 
Hey Titan,

I wouldnt panic..but a trip to the vet wouldnt hurt..If it turns out to be kennel cough it would be good to get some cough medicine and antibodics from your vet, just so you don't feel any worse..I had kennel cough twice before, even though I have been vacinated for it. There are I think like 28 diffrent strands, and the vaccine only helps against like 8 or so..But you cough for a week or so..But mommy got my brother and me some cough medicine and it cleared right up..It's just a hassle trying to get the medicine...YUCK!! Hope it is just a false alarm....shrugwave
[notify]
Titan

Titan - Destroyer of- shoes and- cardboard

Barked: Fri Aug 3, '07 3:06pm PST 
These responses are great! Thank you ... my new concern is this. I spent a good portion of the night hacking and coughing and this morning my spittle had a little string of green goo in it confused I'm not having any problems going to the bathroom and my nose is as cold and wet as they come. Should I be concerned? Daddy says to wait until Mon to call the vet (its sat. here in Japan).
[notify]
Ghost

The King

Barked: Fri Aug 3, '07 4:36pm PST 
I think I would call the vet...The casses of kennel cough that I have seen they usually only cough up clear or white looking flem..Unless he ate something green before coughing up....If I were you I probally would give the vet a call to at least let them know whats going on, and what the symptoms are...
[notify]
Gwydion

Boxer Gentleman

Barked: Fri Aug 3, '07 5:05pm PST 
Vet Vet Vet! and possibly, the vet. With our smunchie faces we can have complications from kennel cough... it CAN get serious. I had it when I was one, since a pup brought it to the dog park. And with me it passed fast... but other pups went into some serious trouble and ended up in the hospital for it
[notify]
Houston

Sticks, sticks,- did someone say- STICKS!!

Barked: Fri Aug 3, '07 6:42pm PST 
Oh sweet Titan, please let us know how you make out.
[notify]
Murphy

Nov 6/04 - Feb 20/08

Barked: Fri Aug 3, '07 7:13pm PST 
I agree, time to call the vet...hopefully they can tell you if you need to come in asap or if it can wait for Monday.
Good luck baby, let us know what they say.
Best wishes and snorts from Murphy...
[notify]
Rocco

Don't let things- bother you!

Barked: Fri Aug 3, '07 10:12pm PST 
I would guess kennel cough too.
Get to the vet! hug Let us know how things go!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2