GO!

Can boxers swim?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  
Blue

The amazing- cow-dog!

Barked: Mon Jul 2, '07 6:45am PST 
Someone recently told me that they've heard boxers can't swim. Is this true for your dog? My boxer mix absolutely hates water and won't go in it, but I didn't realize it was possible that he couldn't swim and that was why!
[notify]
Murphy

Nov 6/04 - Feb 20/08

Barked: Mon Jul 2, '07 12:01pm PST 
I don't really like water either. But...one time I chased my friend (a water loving lab) into the pond (she was fetching a tennis ball). I was so excited to be running and chasing that I dove right in, but suddenly I couldn't touch the bottom! shock
I thrashed around in panic for a couple of seconds, then figured out I wasn't sinking and turned around and paddled back to the edge. Since then I've walked into the pond but will only go deep enough for the water to touch my belly. Which proves to my mom that I can swim, but I sure don't like to.
[notify]
Gwydion

Boxer Gentleman

Barked: Mon Jul 2, '07 5:52pm PST 
We CAN swim, but most boxers choose not to. Most adore splashing in shallow water though! We have both been in over our heads before and had to swim... we were not at all happy about it! confused

Give us nice shallow water to splash in!
[notify]

Eve

Eve: aka Evil- Sidewinder

Barked: Mon Jul 2, '07 7:37pm PST 
hi Blue wave yeah that swimming thing is overated. its much more fun to splash around in the shallow muddy stuff. snoopy

i could swim ......... if i wanted to shrug

at least i think i could ! eek
[notify]
Blue

The amazing- cow-dog!

Barked: Mon Jul 2, '07 10:02pm PST 
I'm glad I'm not alone in my dislike for water! Some mean people my mommy knows think a dog who doesn't swim is weird!
[notify]
Rocco

Don't let things- bother you!

Barked: Mon Jul 2, '07 10:26pm PST 
Yeah, we can swim but we just choose not to.
Once mom took us to a lake and took us out into the water. Well we ended up digging are claw into them so we could have someone to hold onto.

There are a few exceptions to boxers out there who love water.
[notify]
buster

lets box

Barked: Tue Jul 3, '07 6:00am PST 
I don;t know if I can swim and I don;t want to find out either. I hate water. I don't even like walking through water puddles after it rains.
[notify]
Blue

The amazing- cow-dog!

Barked: Tue Jul 3, '07 11:01am PST 
Haha, I'm the same way, Buster! And Rocco, I did that to my mommy too. She pretended she was fine so I wouldn't feel bad, but I was not happy to be in that lake and she was the only thing sticking out of it I could climb onto!!
[notify]
Brigid

ITS ALL MINE

Barked: Tue Jul 3, '07 7:12pm PST 
I was only a little pup, like 3 months old when I had my first swim... hated water every since. BOL. Swam hard enough to tow mom back to shore though! laugh out loud Gwydion has gotten me to go out and splash with him in the shallows since then, but I still dont like deep water!

Mom is getting us life jackets to swim in before we go out in deep water again.
[notify]
Jack

Who's a bucket- puppy?

Barked: Mon Jul 9, '07 6:50pm PST 
I wondered if it was just that Lake Michigan was too cold this past weekend or if I just didn't want to swim like my brother lab.

I once fell into a pond while I was watching my brother swim around. I was on a dock, and my human mommy swears that my doggie mommy pushed me in. Anyway, I was able to swim back to shore, but that was in February, so mommy figured I didn't go back in because it was too cold.

Hoping Jack will be inspired to go swimming if the lake is warmer in August. Mommy and daddy can go in with him and his brother then. Fingers crossed (it could happen; he's become quite the retriever by being with his brother laugh out loud ).
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9