GO!

Doggie Day Care?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Brie

Barked: Fri Aug 17, '12 9:23am PST 
I adopted Brie, an Austrailian Shepherd, in November 2011.She was at a shelter for about 7 months prior to that. She is a bit over 2 years now, and I had decided to try to get her socialized again with other dogs, and possibly a back up boarding in the case of an emergency, by using a doggie daycare service, that came highly recommended. I started her out just once a week and for the most part, she seemed fine.
Yesterday, I was informed that she was no longer welcome because of her "herding" issues,which have been causing problems for other dogs. The owner wouldn't look me in the eye as he was explaining this, but was willing to offer some in house sitters info, as well as someone that offers obedience training. He asked how she does when leashed and sees another dog. I said she either whines and shies away, or wags and wants to smooch.

She is a very obedient, so I am not sure..Would training help socialize her with other dogs?
[notify]
Brie

Barked: Fri Aug 17, '12 9:26am PST 
I should have asked would obedience school help socialize her if she already is obedient.
[notify]
Lily

I will use my- cuteness to- persuade you!

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 10:15am PST 
I know lots of people who are annoyed by herding dogs. I have one, and she doesn't play with other dogs as other dogs would, all she does is herd. Maybe that was the problem with Doggie Day Care. The man might not have liked that?

I would suggest inviting calm dogs and their owners into your home, and introducing dogs to your Aussie in a controlled enviroment.

It would also probably be better if you didn't send your dog to Doggie Day Care, and rather did more activities with your dog. I'm not incredibly fond of sending your dog off to one of those day care's. It is like sending your children off to day care. They learn bad habits, and the parents are not really the one raising the child. Your dog wants to be with you.
[notify]