GO!

My Aussie has started barking...NON STOP!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Kaden

Life is good!

Barked: Thu Jun 12, '08 1:49pm PST 
All my kids are crate trained. With a large number of kids, I feel that they need to be crated unless they are properly supervised. My pack was never full of barkers until recently. We moved at the end of March and I feel that the barking has sky rocketed. We moved to a 2 acre farm house. We play for hours and if I bring them in to crate them for any reason...it starts!!! They are all exercised daily and I have them on a strict schedule that includes one-on-one time and even a session of grooming where I check nails, brush, and tend to anything grooming wise. I have divided them up into small groups so when we are playing they get more attention and it rotates throughout the day. We have large group play with everyone in the house and they pretty much run my day. But I love them and I am the one who is responsible for them. I know this is not related to anything with bordem or because they are not exercised. If I crate the kids to go take a shower or to spend some 1-on-1 time with another one... Sam, Kaden, Leena, and Jake bark NON STOP!

-Sam, 1 year old GSD, I feel that she follows the others.
-Kaden, 1 1/2 Aussie, my velcro dog... he is always with me and I cannot leave his eyesight. I feel that this barking behavior is mainly him. The others will stop after the first hush or sometimes its not them at all. BUT IT IS ALWAYS HIM!
-Leena, 10 month old, Choc. Lab - She used to be so quiet and I feel that its escalated with her fast.
-Jake, 2 year old Golden Mix - Always a little testy, but this is an old behavior that has reappeared.

If I go tell them to hush, they stop as soon as they see my face. Once I'm out of eye sight it starts again...

This is the part that baffles me... when my fiance gets home it stops just like a switch! He walks in and says hi to everybody and its over. I can crate them for whatever reason.. and it just stops.

What gives? I'm so at a lost on why this behavior has gotten out of control with just ME! shock
[notify]
Basia

the fetch is- strong in this- one

Barked: Sat Jun 28, '08 8:32am PST 
I crate trained my Aussie with a can of change on a string. Keeping them in the next room, you shake the string which distracts them from the barking. Once trained, the can is still there doing its job.

I should also mention that if an Aussie is properly tired out, they will be much less likely to bark. They certainly take longer than other dogs to tire out. I've had my Aussie out for 4-6 hours before she even started to slow down. (When it is cooler out than mid-summer with plenty of water btw.)

Hope this helps...
[notify]
Cruiser

I'm head of- household &- don't forget it

Barked: Mon Jun 30, '08 11:46am PST 
Have you tried covering his crate or just separating him when crated from the rest of the kids? We have fostered dogs that bark more when they are kenneled near our dogs and some that prefer being in a room by themselves. Most always like a blanket over their crate (if it is wire). If it's the plastic kind then it shouldn't matter. Barking is the one thing that drives me crazy. Luckily our dogs are not big barkers, but once in awhile i'll get a foster in who is. Then I just tell them over and over NO BARK. I have never used a bark collar, but have heard they can be helpful.
[notify]

Tundra

You have- Treats.. I can- smell it!

Barked: Wed Aug 6, '08 2:07pm PST 
I used to Bark all the time when go to my crate. But my dad showed me that everything is okay. He feeds me in my crate and gently tells me to go to "Crate" without touching me and i go in and lay down.

I know that he used to give me treats when i did go in the crate, but now im smothered with love!!!

Now, i don't bark in my crate anymore.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '12 8:38pm PST 
Hello,

I have a 11 week old Aussie. He is the best dog ever. I knew what I was getting my self into when I got him. I must admit I feel a little pressure about it all. I love this dog. Everyone loves him. I have been working with him along with the rest of the family inlcluding a 2 year old who thinks "he sooo cute". She can't keep her hands off of him and she does pull on him, but it is also the responsibility of the parent and dog owner to train the dog and teach the child and to have constant supervision.

If you can provide that than I believe you Aussie will be fine.
[notify]