GO!

proper height and weight

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Rosie

Barked: Tue Aug 14, '07 11:48am PST 
hi there, a friend of mine has an 8 month old female and she is about 22 pounds...he is concerned that she seems small for her breed....does anyone here know the correct height and weight for an 8 month old?

thanks

Monica
[notify]
Bailey Boo

Barked: Tue Aug 14, '07 12:49pm PST 
I'm not sure, but that does seem small. Bailey is 17 pounds at 11 weeks. Is his pup a mini aussie?
[notify]
Rainie

Who Me??

Barked: Wed Aug 15, '07 6:05am PST 
Firstly there is no breed as the mini aussie....

The aussie standard has a prefered hight BUT dogs that are outside of that prefered hight are just fine too.

A lot of working bred dogs tend to be on the smaller side...especially bitches. I have seen adults that size before at Nationals...it depends on the dogs build. Rainie is 18.5 inches and 35lbs but she is bigger boned adn has more coat. If she had less bone and coat adn dropped an inch in hight she would be about what that puppy will be as an adult.

Aussies come in an array of sizes and shapes...thats one of the beauties of owning them...they are not cookie cutter dogssmile
[notify]

Scotch **ADOPT ME thru MARS**

can u love me?

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '07 5:47pm PST 
Get over yourself Raine... I hate to tell you but there ARE mini aussies... and guess what THEY ARE EVERYWHERE. Just because you dont believe it doesnt mean it isnt true.
[notify]
Rainie

Who Me??

Barked: Fri Aug 17, '07 6:06am PST 
people CALL them minis but they are just smaller sized aussies. There is not variation of the aussie like there is for poodles. Im not saying you arent an aussie....I am saying you ARE an aussie but JUST an aussie NOT a mini aussie because as a recognised breed (by AKC, ASCA, UKC, CKC) there is no such thing. Any aussie that is an aussie can be any size. There is not DQ fualt for varyation in size so there cant be seperate varieties because the standard covers ALL heights.

"Quality is not to be sacrificed in favor of size" Therefore what people call "mini aussies" are either mixes or just smaller sized aussies...not their own breed or variation of a breed.

Im not trying to put anything down just clear up misconceptions...

I DO know that they are trying to get them recognised as a totally seperate breed called the Royal Basque Sheepdog or something and that is totally fine because then they are a seperate breed with no link to the aussies. I dont care if people breed smaller aussies (working farms do it all the time) but dont say there is the standard, mini, and toy variations of one breed because there is not under ANY standard.

I have done a LOT of research on this subject.
[notify]
Rainie

Who Me??

Barked: Fri Aug 17, '07 6:29am PST 
And the ones with domed heads and bug eyes are not pure aussie anyway they are toy/sheltie mixes just being called aussies. You cant call lab mixes purebred so you shouldnt be able to call them aussies.

I KNOW there are people just breeding for a smaller aussie by selective breeds adn that is TOTALLY ok...people breeding dogs all have a different goal in mind whether it be a biggerboned/coated dog(dogs go over standard too and no one calls them "giant aussies") or working dogs or smaller sized more moderate dogs. People that breed aussies for agility often breed them a little smaller so they can make different height limits (I believe there was a 16 inch/20 some bitch at Nationals whose owner wore a shirt "NOT a mini" LOL). But since there is not mixing in their background and it is just selective breeding they are just plain old aussies.

Like I said: Variation is what makes our breed unique.
[notify]
Chase CGC

It's Mine I Tell- Ya! Mine! Mine!- Mine!

Barked: Fri Aug 17, '07 3:09pm PST 
I saw an add for a "Toy Aussie" in a paper, saying it wont get bigger then 10 lbs... I thought that was strange!

shrug
[notify]
Rainie

Who Me??

Barked: Fri Aug 17, '07 4:49pm PST 
Toys are definately mixes...there is no way they can be bred down that far in such a short time...plus the whole domed head/bug eyes dealsmile
[notify]

Barked: Sat Oct 20, '12 3:51pm PST 
Miniature Australian Shepherds have been around since the late 1960's, recently the name was changed to Miniature American Shepherd.
Try going to TimelessAussies.com ran by 3rd generation breeder Karen Keller.
There is also a Toy Miniature Shepherd; we have one named Sadie along her son Atticus a 6 mo. old Mini, and our small Mini Zuzu.

They are everything the Australian is but it comes in a smaller size. Best dogs we've ever had!
[notify]