GO!

Need advises for my Akita baby.

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 11:37pm PST 
Hi everyone!
I am new to this forum. I just brought home my almost 9 weeks old Akita baby girl.Her name is Loki. I love her with all my heart. She is so friendly, playful, fluffy little girl. From the first day we met, my husband has play with her, I just look and touch her a bit because I had no idea what to do with her. I always have her after that. She get use to my home, I bring her to work with me. Everyone lovessss her. She exciting when she see people, specially kids. When she so happy, she pee, is that normal? The thing that upset me the most is she is not playful with me at all. SHe let me hold her, touch her but she is quiet and still when I am around. But when she is with someone else, she is so playful. She licks and chew everyone hands ( we working on that problem, no bitting) but she won't lick me, even if sometimes she accidently has her teeth on my hand, she would step back right away. She would not kiss me or crawl on me, or all over me like she does that to other. I feel like she does not like me like she like my husband. She is 9 weeks old and almost 8 lbs. Any suggestion? Lots of thanks.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 6:36am PST 
How long has she been in your home? I am asking because if you have not really played with her during that time,she may think that you are not a person she can play with. Our Akita's as puppies learned from how each person behaved with them,how to behave with that person and your pupppy may think that she is to be quiet and cuddle with you and look to your husband for play.
Try giving her a different idea by finding a toy that you can play with along with her so that she learns that it is okay to play with you as well. Also,is she a Japanese or an American Akita? If she is an American Akita her weight seems a little low for her age. Both of my Akitas are the American type and at 9 weeks both were well over 10 pounds. Has your puppy been to the vet? That is always a good idea to make sure they are healthy. The peeing from being overly excited happens but will happen less if you make sure to take your puppy out at least once every hour or two to go to the bathroom outside,small puppies can not hold their pee for very long,just like small children. I am with both of our Akita's more often so they always behave like they like my husband better,it's not the case,they just have the chance to miss him a bit more,so are more excited to see him when he finally gets home from work. When he is here with them and I leave,they are just as excited about my return as they are about his. Don't worry your puppy does love you.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 10:24am PST 
i brought her to the vet and she is healthy and fine, up to date with shots. loki is a Japaneses akita. i try different ways but when she come to me, she just normal, not playful anymore. how to make she like me and come to me. please help.By the way, she learn so fast, she know where she sleep just after one night and how to turn to home after 1 day out. i got her almost 1 week. she play with everyone nonstop, but she dont bother to sit where i sit. she just go away
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 7:18pm PST 
I'm glad she has been to the vet and is healthy. That makes things much easier. She simply needs to learn to interact with you in a new way. Find a toy that she likes,a rope for example,that she can take one end of in her mouth while you hold the other end,and drag it along the floor to engage her in play. Spend some time on the floor roughing her up a bit as your husband does,just relax and have some fun with her,she will learn a new way to play with you and behave around you. Akita's are very smart and do learn very quickly. She is just a puppy and has not really been with you that long,give her time,she may not seem as excited to see you as she is people she sees less right now but with time you will see just how much she really does love you. My Akitas get far more excited at seeing my husband when he comes home from work than they are at seeing me all day long but should someone try to do me harm,they are there to protect me and would give their lives if need be,they also know when I am sick,or upset,and are a great comfort to me.Loki will have a relationship with your husband but she will have a special one with you as well. Just involve yourself with her,play with her,and enjoy her,she will bond with you as well.wishes
[notify]