GO!

Running akita

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Kaida

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 7:44am PST 
Hello everybody.
Im a keen runner my self, just would like to hear Your opinion about Akitas running.
Thanx a lot winkthinking
[notify]
Leah

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 4:17pm PST 
Hello. Running as in away from you, liking to run, or what exactly? My Akita will run all over our yard, very quickly. Like she has to get it out of her system.
[notify]
Kaida

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 4:53pm PST 
Hi. I meant it as a running partner what would be propriate age for akita to go for a 3 to 5 mile runs?
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 7:11pm PST 
Depending on her typical level of exercise,certainly by age 2 she should be perfectly capable of doing several miles with you. Before that I would be concerned with over stressing the joints of a young,not fully matured Akita,and that type of exercise should never be undertaken without a build-up anyway. For example you as a runner would not if your normal run is a 10k,suddenly without any conditioning just decide to run 20k beginning the next day do not expect her to do it either,she will need to be properly equipped to ensure she does not injure or burn the pads of her feet,she should have a harness rather than a collar,and she will need to build-up her endurance over time. She by the way should make an excellent running companion.wishes and have fun!!!
[notify]
Kaida

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 7:01am PST 
Thanx a lot xxx we will have fun someday wink hail way to go
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 8:07am PST 
I checked her profile,at 4 months a nice slow jog of maybe 1k. would be fine for her. Socializing her with other people and other dogs would also be very good for her at this point as well and socialization is very key to them the first year,and really throughout life. If you have a park or other area nearby where you could take her and allow her to meet people and other dogs while getting in a slow jog for now,that would be great. As she gets a bit older you can increase speed and distance but take it slow and if she shows any signs of stress to her joints,back up a bit and take the pace a bit slower as far as increases in the future. Just because she can not do the entire distance right now at the speed you typically do,does not mean that she can't enjoy running with you as she grows,she by all means can. Burning off some energy will make for a tired,happy,easier to manage puppy as well.
Relax and enjoy her. You will be amazed at how quickly she grows,learns, and changes. So get an adjustable harness,a leash,and enjoy. She is a beautiful girl.
[notify]
Kaida

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '13 2:41am PST 
Hi, that's what we r doing now, we meet a lot of people and dogs and she is a wery friendly girl, so far all goes well, I just love our time together. Xxx wink thanx again hail cheer
[notify]