GO!

Akita Training Questions

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 24)  
1  2  3  
Mika

As long as they- think they're- the boss

Barked: Sat Aug 1, '09 1:31pm PST 
I have been around so called"bully breeds all my life,German sheppards,dobermans,rottweilers,boxers,pitbulls,and Akitas.Each of these breeds was originally bred for a specific purpose or purposes. Although you cannot breed out instincts of a particular breed,you can ,in fact breed for a less agressive temperment.Most reputable and responsible breeders do try to accomplish this.Puppymills and people who are just out to make a buck don't care about temperment which is very different from temper.There are also multiple websites that can give you a basic breed profile and help you find a breed that fits your likes ,limitations,and needs to match you with a dog that fits your criteria. If an Akita fits those criteria it is then up to You,to know and understand the dogs needs for dicipline,affection,exercise ,etc.. If you are not willing to fulfill those needs you are going to have problems.As I mentioned in my last post , The death of my cat at the jaws of my dog were my fault.
They played together very well for 3 yrs. ,the cat had been in the house for 7yrs. before the dog arrived at the age of 9wks. and was originally smaller than the cat. The dog did Grow-up with the cat and it can work,but you must supervise them together,make sure the akita has a good temper to begin with and there are sites that will explain temperment testing techniques.Had I made sure to supervise them properly to make sure that little spats were kept at an appropriate level I may have been able to prevent a tragedy.
That was simply a more agressive nip that usual ,to a very sensitive area.and when the cat took off to hide she made the initial injury much more severe.After 3yrs. together I simply let my guard down
I'm not saying that all akitas will kill cats or smaller animals,I'm saying that the potential is there even if things seem okay at first.As for leaving an akita unsupervised with small children ,NO ONE SHOULD EVER LEAVE SMALL CHILDREN ALONE WITH ANY DOG!!
Just because they may not be able to inflict as much damage doesn't guarantee they won't or are less likely to bite.And I have a nephew who is terrified of any dog because he was bitten repeatedly in the face by a cockerspaniel that wanted his pacifier.Ialso have a grandson who waqs bitten by a cockerspaniel who wanted to lay where the baby was sleeping .Our lesson here should be DO NOT EVER LEAVE SMALL CHILDREN IN ANY ROOM
WITH ANY BREED OF DOG BECAUSE ACCIDENTS CAN HAPPEN WHEN CHILDREN AND ANIMALS ARE LEFT UNSUPERVISED!
[notify]
Sassy

Sassy - Loves to walk,- bark & play

Barked: Tue Jun 28, '11 11:39am PST 
I have a 5 year old Akita/Lab mix who is so nervous around strangers while my Border Collie will run up on them and do circles of excitement. How can I get my Akita to calm down and not be so nervous. I take her on walk in hoping to socialize her, but when people want to pet her, I am scared to let them and she hides behind me with her hair standing up from her neck to her butt.
Also, Sassy the Akita is very aggressive when it comes to food and my other female dog. Sassy has attacked my Lab (female dog) before when it has come to food. Now she growls at my Lab when she comes into the bedroom that my son sleeps in. Why is she like this? I am very "in-tune" with Sassy's body gestures and looks, so I usually can prevent an attack before it happens, but I just wonder if there is anything I can do that will prevent her from being so mean to the other female dog?
[notify]
Mika

As long as they- think they're- the boss

Barked: Mon Aug 1, '11 8:37am PST 
Sassy,
One of your problems are Akita's are more likely to be same sex agressive. Having 2 females in the house you are going to have your hands full. It may be a little inconvenient for you but separete them when there is food or food like treats around unless yo7u are right there supervising and then dicipline or crate your agressor as soon as you see a problem. Your Akita mix was also probably under socialized, try walking her with a halti or other face collar that you can tighten around her muzzle before allowing strangers to pet her so that even if she is nervous and growls she can't bite as she is more socialized she should become less timid or nervous,the worst thing you can do is to stop trying to socialize her because that only reenforces the behavior. I hope this is of some help to you,and good luck!
Mika,Kai&Pam (their mom)
[notify]

Stella

Barked: Tue Mar 5, '13 4:39am PST 
My akita is mixed with shepherd and coyote and she's really good with smaller dogs and other animals. She gets pretty skittish around rowdy kids but if they know to be calm and gentle she's fine with them.

Her father, who is pure akita, HATES other dogs and strangers going anywhere near his owner. I think it's all a matter of how you socialize them though. They have an indoor cat and the two are best friends but if he sees one outside he considers them food. They're such loyal dogs that if you train them well they will do pretty much anything you ask of them.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 24)  
1  2  3