GO!

Yorkie Behavior: Is this Normal?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Arwen

Not even Hitler- made that much- noise.

Barked: Fri Nov 21, '08 7:07am PST 
Arwen has developed a few new traits to her behavior and I was wondering if anyone else's Yorkie does these things.

First, she's started digging in the back yard. It started when I picked up a rock to block in a whole Arwen's sister, Pooh, dug by the gate (our yard is fenced in for protected play time). Arwen started frantically digging where I picked up a rock, which happens to be right next to a large tree. Her hole is now about 5 inches deep. She'll shove her entire head inside the hole and start snorting, huffing, and sniffing while she's digging. She really goes crazy over this hole. And if leaves fall in it, she'll bark like crazy at you until you pull the leaves out so she can continue digging. I have absolutely no idea what she's digging for, but it's incredibly funny.

Secondly, she snorts when she's playing rough. I've never really been around Yorkies before as I had a slight wariness with small breed dogs, so I'm not sure if this is normal, or Arwen's just a little different.

Everything she does cracks me and the family up and I wouldn't change her for the world.
[notify]
Mason and- Dixie

Crosses the line

Barked: Mon Nov 24, '08 8:25am PST 
I have 2 yorkies. Your lucky you only have 1 hole! I finally got a kids pool and filled it with sand. Helps but just keep the trainning up. Point to the hole and say no digging then take them to the pool and show him how to dig in the pool. Mine got it right away.
The snorting is just a way of talking I guess the Male always does it at play time. So is it normal I guess so!
[notify]
Baxter

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 8:53am PST 
Yorkies were bred to find mice/rats, and digging is in their nature. Many of them take time to dig into their bed to make their nest, also. If you do not want too many holes in the yard, you might try placing a small sandbox for digging!
[notify]